How to add a search engine to Firefox?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FrankSMS

How to add a search engine to Firefox?

Post by FrankSMS »

This seems like an impossible task. Normally it shows you your search engines and the option to add or remove them. But not here! What in the world do they drink at Mozilla I wonder?
So I google it. Find this page: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... ne-firefox

Of course it doesn't work.
As I am not 3 years old I don't need a search bar wasting space as I search from the Address Bar like any reasonably mentally functioning person would do. In Options there is no option to add a search engine. Wonderful.

What a bizarre mystery Mozilla is. Maybe its just a pile of smart people working voluntarily independently (some with admittedly excellent ideas) with no one overseeing and organizing things. It never ceases to baffle me. (Not that other companies are perfect!)
FrankSMS

Re: How to add a search engine to Firefox?

Post by FrankSMS »

This is so moronic.
If you want to add a search engine you have to use Add-Ons. Unbelievable. As if an Add-On has anything to do with search. Welcome to Planet Mozilla where little is logical and nothing makes sense. Has a nice ring to it. Check your sanity at the door.
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

If a website is programmed to, it will add an "Add xyz search" to the bottom of the search list. A bunch of user created search engines can be added from http://mycroftproject.com/

You can right-click in a search field and add a keyword search. Then in address bar, type "keyword search terms" to search.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

moz2u wrote:As I am not 3 years old I don't need a search bar wasting space as I search from the Address Bar like any reasonably mentally functioning person would do. In Options there is no option to add a search engine. Wonderful.
Pity. If you had been less than 3 years old you would have realised that search engines can be added when the Searchbar is shown. You would sort of know that a website had a search engine available because a bleedin' great notification comes up in the Searchbar.

Don't want to have the Searchbar visible? Tough, that's how it is and you hide the searchbar after adding search engines, if you want to.
moz2u wrote:This is so moronic.
Probably.

Take legal action against Mozilla if it really bothers you, I think you'll find that no one here gives a damn either way.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Two notes:

(1) There will be a command on the "page actions" menu (in the address bar) to add a search engine plugin advertised by the current page. It wasn't finished in time for Firefox 60, but is available in Nightly and maybe in Beta (I don't have beta installed to check).

(2) Until then, if you pin the search bar to the overflow menu, you can use the existing mechanism when needed without sacrificing any main toolbar space.
James

Post by James »

moz2u wrote:As if an Add-On has anything to do with search.
The word Add-ons is a general term that groups together the separate Extensions, Themes (complete and image), Plugins, dictionaries, language pack and search engine plugins. You are probably thinking Addons = Extensions only.

https://addons.mozilla.org/faq