Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
therube

Re: Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonk

Post by therube »

this is what google news looks like to me
If you're seeing that "keyboard arrow down" & such, then something on your end is interfering with something on their end.
IOW, you're blocking something - like JavaScript.
But not just javascript "alone", it seems to happen when blocking javascript via NoScript.
NoScript, by default, blocks "fonts".
So when you block JavaScript - in NoScript, & with NoScript by default also blocking fonts, you end up with things like "keyboard arrow down" displaying - rather then down "down-arrow" font.

That said, https://news.google.com/ does load particularly poorly (understatement) - in SeaMonkey.
understatement*: make that horribly.

(And it is not a JavaScript or Useragent issue either.)

SeaMonkey 2.53- with JavaScript disabled, loads that page lightning fast (in comparison).
Though with JavaScript enabled, it is then relatively slow :( (though still far better then SeaMonkey 2.49).
(Nothing scientific, but there doesn't seem to be much of a change, if any, between 2.53 & 2.57.)

FF 60 loads the page fine, in all conditions.
(Note that FF 60 seems to be doing some, or more, of its' parsing "behind the scenes", IOW presenting the "page", pictures & text, to the user, prior to actually finishing "loading" the page. In any case, you get a better user experience, on that site, with FF 60.)

Pale Moon also loads that page relatively poorly (though better then SeaMonkey 2.49).

PS: See what a URL can do ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

well, I can wait for the next versions (how long?) but I do have Javascript enabled - how to I adjust the NoScript stuff?
therube

Post by therube »

Options | Embeddings -> Forbid @font-face (uncheck)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

I'm sorry - how do I get to that?
therube

Post by therube »

Do yo have NoScript installed?
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

not knowingly
therube

Post by therube »

how to I adjust the NoScript stuff?
Then there is nothing for you to adjust in "NoScript", no?

So now you need to figure out what extension or setting you have that is affecting what you are seeing.
Restart in Safe Mode (mentioned 3 days ago) & see how news.google.com displays.
If still wrong, as a test, create a new, clean Profile & see what that does.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi therube, I believe you mean well, and I'm sure creating a new profile will fix it (just like in the old days, when the tech support guys who led off with "let's start by reinstalling windows" weren't wrong). But I know about starting fresh, and back when, when I posted here, there were usually others with similar issues who shared their less drastic solutions. Perhaps SM is currently so broken that every oddity requires a fresh start. Perhaps voices with less drastic solutions see these postings and figure help has already been provided, but when the only support for a browser is the same poster saying "start over", that could also be another reason to look for another browser. :-) I was hoping that wasn't the case which is why I didn't go down that road 3 days ago. I'll give it a go when I have some time.

Thanks!
/j
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:..but when the only support for a browser is the same poster saying "start over", that could also be ano
Hi jeffw_00, I believe you mean well, but you are not actually understanding what is being written here.

No one is suggesting you 'start over'. Testing with Safe Mode or creating a new additional testing profile are part of our normal troubleshooting routine that eliminates various possibilities. I sort of know that because it was me who wrote this article -

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
The Firefox Profile Manager allows you to create an additional profile while retaining your original one. This is useful not only for having separate settings for multiple users, but also for troubleshooting
As I'm sure you'll appreciate, it's useful for us to understand problems and fix them, not just for you, but especially for anyone else who may run across a similar problem in the future. It is how community forums work and how knowledge and understanding is developed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi Frank - Thanks for the response. I get what you're saying, and if this is a unique problem, I expect it. But my experience has been (as a SM user for decades), that for many many years I would post a question here, and someone (usually someone different) would write "I've seen that too - here's what probably works". More recently (last 1-2 years), two things have happened, the response to almost all my postings is the Safe Mode/Profile answer, and the person to post that response is always the same poster. It's possible all my problems now are never-seen-before, it's possible that one well-meaning person is actually being a little overzealous, or it's possible that the complexity of SM has reached a state that most questions needs to go through the new-profile test before being posted. If so, I respect that, even though it seems a little onerous, so I was trying to suss out if that was really the case, or maybe the overzealous thing was on point. That's all. Hope this makes sense
/j
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Hope this makes sense
It does. But without the Safe Mode and/or new profile tests, we won't be able to get much further in trying to help you. If we haven't seen the same issue, clearly we won't have an immediate solution to offer.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:Ok - this is what google news looks like to me

http://imgbox.com/NuRQGXWP
Had a quick look at this - that is caused by a recent page redesign. I've had a 5 minute look at the page coding, and yeah, that code is going to produce various bizarre results on non-Google browsers.

Until, as always, they redesign the page yet again and finally fix it properly then use this page and bookmark the link (NOTE: - do NOT just click the link below, as you need to include that % at the end! Just copy and paste the whole thing below.)

https://news.google.com/news/feeds?output=rss&q=%
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

AWESOME - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:AWESOME - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, it's pretty awesome until you click the links - with me they are mostly redirecting back to the new page and not to the external links. *sigh*

Try this one instead, not as 'full' but seems to, at least, external link OK - http://theoldgnews.com/news/headlines?ned=us&hl=en
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

yes - that seems MUCH Better :-) (busy tonight - didn't get to testing the first one - sorry!)