When I delete email in TB, I want to also delete on gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OldGrantonian

When I delete email in TB, I want to also delete on gmail

Post by OldGrantonian »

I use Thunderbird linked to gmail. I hardly ever visit gmail online. All my work is done on TB.

I would like to manage deleted emails as follows.

- When I delete an email in TB, it's deleted in gmail online.

That's it :-)

Can you please advise me which settings to use.

BTW: I found the following article:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1114473

The last sentence in the article says:

- If you delete in Thunderbird, you can set settings to delete or not delete off server.

Unfortunately, the writer forgot to give the instructions.

AFAIK, I've opened every option in:

- Tools > Options
- Tools > Account Settings

But I can't find any radio button or checkbox that would do what the above article says you can do.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: When I delete email in TB, I want to also delete on gmai

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP?
I have IMAP Mail Server.

Thanks
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you have a IMAP account when you delete a message in the remote folder it also deletes it in webmail. However, IMAP accounts may do something different when they delete a message than a POP account does. What is "when I delete a message" set to in the Gmail account server settings?

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts

I suggest you compact the folders and see if that deletes the corresponding messages in Gmail webmail. If it does then I suggest you check "Clean up (expunge) inbox upon exit" in the Gmail accounts server settings.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

tanstaafl wrote:What is "when I delete a message" set to in the Gmail account server settings?
It's set to:

- Move it to this folder: Deleted on <me>@gmail.com

I do have a folder named "Deleted", but there's nothing in it. I've been planning to delete it.

As a test, I deleted several unwanted emails just now. They were all moved to "Bin". That's OK.

So, my original question was: will all the emails in Bin be deteted from Gmail server? I know that I can visit the Gmail site now and and check, but that still leaves me with no understanding of how the Delete options work, and how I might want to choose different options in the future.

As I said in my OP, the quoted article says:

- If you delete in Thunderbird, you can set settings to delete or not delete off server.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. Please tell me how to find the "delete" or "not delete" in the settings.

Thanks.
Adrian Bell

Post by Adrian Bell »

OldGrantonian wrote:Please tell me how to find the "delete" or "not delete" in the settings.
That option is for POP accounts only. Yours is set up as IMAP so those options are not available. Different options apply to IMAP accounts as explained by tanstaafl. The folder "BIn" will be present in webmail and if there are emails in it in Thunderbird, they will also be visible in the "Bin" in webmail. If you empty the "Bin" (or delete the emails from it) using Thunderbird then they should also be removed from the "Bin" in webmail.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

Adrian Bell wrote:The folder "BIn" will be present in webmail and if there are emails in it in Thunderbird, they will also be visible in the "Bin" in webmail. If you empty the "Bin" (or delete the emails from it) using Thunderbird then they should also be removed from the "Bin" in webmail.
I tried some tests, and I agree with your comments.

Thanks.