Maximize the length of the tab bar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rypz79

Maximize the length of the tab bar

Post by rypz79 »

Hi,

Is there a way in Firefox Quantum to make the New Tab (+), Space (painted in green) ,Minimize, Maximize / Restore, and Close buttons that can be found on the right side of the Title Bar (marked in red) , to float or if not at least disappear ? (The space is obviously redundant)

In the pre-Quantum versions I had a great extension called "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" which did the trick unfortunately it became a legacy extension with no suitable replacement.

Thank you
"The quieter you become the louder you are able to hear" ~ Seneca
Grumpus

Re: Maximize the length of the tab bar

Post by Grumpus »

Have you tried a right click and a click on customize on the tool bar and dragging the offending area or icons into the customize panel?
Also, do you have some form of Tab extension as I don't see this area with a load of tabs open?
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
rypz79

Post by rypz79 »

Grumpus wrote:Have you tried a right click and a click on customize on the tool bar and dragging the offending area or icons into the customize panel?
Also, do you have some form of Tab extension as I don't see this area with a load of tabs open?
Yes I've tried, customization by dragging do not work.
The only tab extensions that I have are Tab Mix plus (very limited web extension what a pity, the pre-quantum extension was superb ) and Tab Open/Close. They don't affect the appearance of the title-bar or tab-bar what so ever.

Anyhow when I'm using Firefox with ubuntu (same addons - firefox account) the title bar is separate from the tab-bar so what happens is that you can use more tabs (18 on my 13.3" 1920x1080 screen) before having the navigation arrows.
The title bar is missing in my windows configuration.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
"The quieter you become the louder you are able to hear" ~ Seneca
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Firefox on Linux doesn't have the capability of hiding the Titlebar as can be done in Windows.

Open Customize and in the lower-left corner see Title Bar check-box selector. Well below the toolbar buttons and toolbar items which can be dragged.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

rypz79 wrote:The title bar is missing in my windows configuration.

Any suggestions ?
Yeah, learn how Linux desktop managers work. Some have a 'Undecorate' entry when you right click the titlebar, which then hides it and some don't have that entry at all. So, first you check which one you've got.

In other words, it never has been about Firefox on Linux and Windows, but about the OS options available. As there are over 100 Linux distros, then people will experience different results.

Prior to Firefox 57, I used to override that default Linux behaviour with a small TitleBar Toggle coding extension....but Firefox doesn't use those type of extensions any more.

I seem to recall that there is a Linux program around (Maximus?) that can hide the titlebar, but it did it on everything. Can't remember now, but I know it wasn't ideal.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

the-edmeister wrote:Firefox on Linux doesn't have the capability of hiding the Titlebar as can be done in Windows.
Open Customize and in the lower-left corner see Title Bar check-box selector. Well below the toolbar buttons and toolbar items which can be dragged..
@the edmeister - It's there in Ubuntu, and two Linux Mints 17.x and 18.x.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you