newrelic (Linux)

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
scouser27

newrelic (Linux)

Post by scouser27 »

Can someone explain why Firefox's built-in search bar sends data to bam.nr-data.net?

I created a new tab, threw something into the search box and, because of a slight lag on my network, I noticed that the system was waiting on a response from bam.nr-data.net.

I run Firefox on linux and when I installed, there certainly wasn't anything about "Firefox might send your search queries to someone else".

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 12th, 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.
therube

Re: newrelic (Linux)

Post by therube »

Does New Relic mean anything to you?

Does the same happen if you restart FF in Safe Mode?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

scouser27 wrote:Can someone explain why Firefox's built-in search bar sends data to bam.nr-data.net?
Which search engine is selected when you get that?
Have you tried any other search engines?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
scouser27

Post by scouser27 »

@therube - New Relic didn't mean anything to me until I googled it: data analytics. Whatever about google aggregating my search queries, I don't want every possible data analytics company receiving my searches. I'd love to know how the data is getting to them as I have a GDPR-related question for them.

As to your question about safe mode - I can't tell. I mentioned in my original post that it was only visible to me when the network got a bit laggy.

@the-edmeister: Google is my default search engine. I've also used DuckDuckGo, but again, can't tell unless the network becomes slow.

Thanks
therube

Post by therube »

it was only visible to me when the network got a bit laggy
Would Browser Console show it?

Could be coming from an extension you're using, that you "agreed" to when you installed it :evilgrin: ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript