More sites are incorrectly labeling Firefox ESR as outdated

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

More sites are incorrectly labeling Firefox ESR as outdated

Post by c627627 »

Do we need to contact each site individually or is there a reporting place Mozilla has for (important) banking sites displaying warnings about Firefox ESR because they don't know that Firefox ESR is a modern browser that is currently stable, and is as up to date with security patches as Firefox can be. It's probably more secure than most other browsers "they consider" are up to date.

Example:

Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.
Benjamin Markson

Re: More sites are incorrectly labeling Firefox ESR as outda

Post by Benjamin Markson »

The way sites determine your browser is by looking at your User Agent setting. Just fake it.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14802594

Ben.
XUL is dead. Long live the Google Chrome Clones.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Considering that the next ESR 60 version has been released those websites aren't really wrong, but rather jumping the gun a bit.

The fix is to fake it like your GF does.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Ive been using Nightlies on Bank of America for years with "You are using an unsupported browser version.Learn more or update your browser."

If 52.8.1 works, don't worry until it stops working.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
c627627

Post by c627627 »

Even PayPal itself is labeling ESR 52 as unsafe. Isn't ESR 52 just Firefox 52, so why are they doing this when minimum is Fx49?

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th."
But when you click on "See if you need to update your browser." it says they need Mozilla Firefox 49 and above.

Yes I know we can fake things but not every profile can be set up to fake...
This did not happen before. Why now, when they are moving to Fx49 minimum is ESR 52 considered not okay but it was before?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure of the cause for your problem but I'm also on the same version as you are and I've had no version issues as you've stated...

In this profile (which has a number of filters) I visited PayPal and no problems there.... so, I used my test profile which only has ublock in it... visited PayPal... no issues.

I suggest that you restart Firefox into safe-mode and then try...see what happens.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I have no problems either, it was a specific Paypal page not the main PayPal page, next time I see it I will save it, I guess I just thought there could be a way for at least major web site administrators to be asked to take ESR 52 off the list of browsers that are not up to date.
toolong

Post by toolong »

c627627 wrote:I have no problems either, it was a specific Paypal page not the main PayPal page, next time I see it I will save it, I guess I just thought there could be a way for at least major web site administrators to be asked to take ESR 52 off the list of browsers that are not up to date.

But in a week or so it will be. :-)
James

Post by James »

c627627 wrote:Even PayPal itself is labeling ESR 52 as unsafe. Isn't ESR 52 just Firefox 52, so why are they doing this when minimum is Fx49?

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th."
But when you click on "See if you need to update your browser." it says they need Mozilla Firefox 49 and above.

Yes I know we can fake things but not every profile can be set up to fake...
This did not happen before. Why now, when they are moving to Fx49 minimum is ESR 52 considered not okay but it was before?
People using Firefox 60.0.2 have got this notice also as it is not stating your insert Firefox version needs to be updated (note the "may") but a notice that you need at least Firefox 49.0 or newer to use the site after the date.

Firefox 52.0 ESR legacy will be EOL on Sept 5 when the current 60.0 ESR gets the 60.2.0 ESR major update.

Also keep in mind that ever since the Firefox 16.0.2 Release the minor versions have not been mentioned in useragents so 52.8.1 ESR shows as if you are using the Firefox 52.0 Release.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Added info... BTW, I did get that 'update your browser......' line when I visited the home page of that 'BMO Harris bank'
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I sent an email to their Administrator just to see if anything happens, since this was not a "may be" situation because the most updated Firefox ESR gets the warning whereas Chrome does not.

So yes, some pages issue "may be" warnings but many issue them for Firefox ESR only. The question is will emails to major site Admins get them to take down the persistent yellow triangle exclamation point Warning! Update your browser! scare messages that do not help Mozilla with the user exodus problem, to say the least.
c627627

Post by c627627 »

dfoulkes wrote:Added info... BTW, I did get that 'update your browser......' line when I visited the home page of that 'BMO Harris bank'
Just to test to see if they'd do anything about it, I emailed the bank site web site Administrators, they did acknowledge the complaint but did nothing about it.
:(
We'll see what other surprises we'll get after June 30. Hopefully sites won't actively start blocking Firefox ESR, forcing us to use agent extensions to "hide our shame" of using ESR.
James

Post by James »

You mean the legacy Firefox 52 ESR as the current ESR is 60.0 ESR. https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/
c627627

Post by c627627 »

I don't know if ESR 60 gets the same yellow triangle, if anyone has ESR 60 installed they can see:
https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal
I guess that is a very good point.

...but the word 'legacy' is suggestive of 'unsupported' and it kind of ignores the fact that ESR 52 has just had a June 2018 patch and there is (at least) one more security update coming for ESR 52, so it's not like it's old, it's certainly safer than all other variants imitating Firefox out right now...
James

Post by James »

Legacy as in being the previous ESR branch. It is old in that Firefox 52.0 was Released back on March 7, 2017 as the 52 ESR is just security and allowed stability fixes since.