Firefox installed but still will not work?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Buzzrr

Firefox installed but still will not work?

Post by Buzzrr »

On my mother's computer: I have backed up all of her settings with MozBackup. Reinstalled Firefox, yet it still will not run as it previously hadn't before when she called me to look at it. I'm not too familiar with Firefox as I am with SeaMonkey, so I installed that so at least she can get onto the internet with that browser. I'm still perplexed why it will not run Firefox even after a reinstall and uninstalling the old one using Absolute Uninstaller. :-k
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox installed but still will not work?

Post by DanRaisch »

Did Absolute Uninstaller remove the original profile or only the program files/directory?
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Buzzrr wrote:On my mother's computer: I have backed up all of her settings with MozBackup. Reinstalled Firefox, yet it still will not run as it previously hadn't before when she called me to look at it.
Details of her setup? She only has to be using an old PC, an old Linux distro or Windows XP and Firefox is not going to work, or even start, on that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

I have backed up all of her settings with MozBackup
MozBackup is not being developed anymore. There are known issues and there is no time on my side to fix all issues and develop new features. Use MozBackup only on your risk. Thanks for understanding.
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

NOT further recommended.
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

Frank Lion wrote:
Buzzrr wrote:On my mother's computer: I have backed up all of her settings with MozBackup. Reinstalled Firefox, yet it still will not run as it previously hadn't before when she called me to look at it.
Details of her setup? She only has to be using an old PC, an old Linux distro or Windows XP and Firefox is not going to work, or even start, on that.

No she has an ASUS F556UA-AS54 15.6-inch Full-HD Laptop Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD with Windows 10 x64 archectecture. I picked it out for her needs.
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

DanRaisch wrote:Did Absolute Uninstaller remove the original profile or only the program files/directory?
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Even so MozBackup should have retained her original settings.
therube

Post by therube »

What does happen when you try to run FF?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

As Brummelchen pointed out... Mozbackup is no longer being updated and in fact on the link to Moz that he posted the author warns about problems... and BTW... the product list includes SeaMonkey so it may not work properly on that either. What version of Firefox did you install for your mother?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

dfoulkes wrote:As Brummelchen pointed out... Mozbackup is no longer being updated and in fact on the link to Moz that he posted the author warns about problems... and BTW... the product list includes SeaMonkey so it may not work properly on that either. What version of Firefox did you install for your mother?

The latest version of Firefox. I understand somewhere there are backup files which are duplicates of the original firefox settings? As I said I'm not familiar with Firefox it's just that my family used that for their browser.

Can SeaMonkey run those backup files from her computer?
Where might those be to import into SeaMonkey? :-k
Last edited by Buzzrr on June 13th, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are two "latest" versions of Firefox. The standard release version (60.0.2) is the latest in that category but there is also version 52.8.1ESR, targeted for businesses that prefer to see fewer updates while accepting security fixes. It's likely you are working with the former but that's not definite.

There are no automatic duplicates of user selected settings made, so any changes made to those settings after initial installation would be lost if the user profile were corrupted or destroyed. That includes things like history, bookmarks, choice of displayed toolbars, etc would disappear. Only the "out of the box" original, default values would be available if a new profile were created or if Firefox and the user profile were to be removed from the system and a totally new installation made.
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

Brummelchen wrote:
I have backed up all of her settings with MozBackup
MozBackup is not being developed anymore. There are known issues and there is no time on my side to fix all issues and develop new features. Use MozBackup only on your risk. Thanks for understanding.
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

NOT further recommended.
It has always worked for every version of Firefox. I even use it for SeaMonkey. it has worked flawlessly. Even in transfering to new computers.
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

therube wrote:What does happen when you try to run FF?
Nothing the fans rev up and I just then just the whole thing down because it sounds like it's using too much CPUs.
Also I really hate Windows 10. I use Windows 7 Ultimate. The GUI is so much better.

God I've got to get some sleep the tree trimmers have been out in front of my house all day long after recently suffering through a seizure taken to hospital staying there for days and from bad side effects which a drug doctors had originally given to me. :shock: ](*,)
Last edited by Buzzrr on June 13th, 2018, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

"it has worked" is absolutly correct. WE know why YOU should not use it it. it buggy, period. use another backupper!

"should have retained" ist also correct, but because buggy it dont include all files and it has issues to recover.
rename files to ZIP and extract content

This article explains how to selectively transfer Firefox user data and settings to a new Firefox profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
therube

Post by therube »

fans rev up and I just then just the whole thing down
So are you saying that FF does open, only it isn't particularly usable, or isn't usable at all - even though it happens to "show up"?

Most likely yes.
What version of FF was she running?

Is Session Restore of importance?
(Naming difference in the restore files between FF & SeaMonkey.)

Extensions, if used, could be an issue.

Best bet is to install SeaMonkey & migrate over needed data from FF to SeaMonkey.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Buzzrr

Post by Buzzrr »

therube wrote:
fans rev up and I just then just the whole thing down
So are you saying that FF does open, only it isn't particularly usable, or isn't usable at all - even though it happens to "show up"?

Most likely yes.
What version of FF was she running?

Is Session Restore of importance?
(Naming difference in the restore files between FF & SeaMonkey.)

Extensions, if used, could be an issue.

Best bet is to install SeaMonkey & migrate over needed data from FF to SeaMonkey.

Okay then tell me how to do that? :?:

I will find your responses after I can finally now get some peace and quiet now that the tree trimmer have left my home.
They've been here since early morning!

Now where's that sleep emotion at? It's now early mid-afternoon!
:shock: ](*,) :?: :D =D>