Many Sessionstore Files

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
lem3

Many Sessionstore Files

Post by lem3 »

In addition to the sessionstore.json file in my profile, there are many 16MB sessionstore-N.json files, where N currently runs from 1 - 127. SeaMonkey creates these 2 or three times a day even though I rarely close the browser.

This has not always happened, I haven't intentionally made any preference changes which would cause it. How do I make it stop? Windows 7.
therube

Re: Many Sessionstore Files

Post by therube »

I believe stuff like that can be caused by a permissions issue.
As in might you have installed SeaMonkey (& set up your Profile) "As Administrator" & now are running as a "Normal" user?
Or somehow the permissions for sessionstore.json inadvertently got changed?

If you don't need your sessions...
exit SeaMonkey
delete all sessionstore.* files
restart SeaMonkey
browse a bit
quit
restart
browse a bit
quit
restart
browse a bit
quit
restart

See if you only have one sessionstore.json (& .bak) or if you start accumulating them again.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lem3

Post by lem3 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm certain I installed as the Normal user. The security tabs for sessionstore.json and sessionstore.bak show user/groups SYSTEM, Lemuel (that's me) and Administrators all have Full Control permissions on both files.
I tried the process of deleting the files, browsing, quitting, starting, etc. I'm back up to sessionstore-8.json (since Monday).

These start adding up at ~15MB per copy.
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile, open & close it saving your session & repeat.
Do sessionstore's accumulate there?

As a test, create a new clean Profile, copy only the sessionstore.json & sessionstore.bak from your original Profile into this new Profile (with SeaMonkey closed).
Open & close it saving your session & repeat.
I'm back up to sessionstore-8.json
Does that actually correspond with each open/close cycle? So 8 open/close's?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
lem3

Post by lem3 »

I decided to investigate with a more controlled experiment before creating new profiles.

1. At 11:47 am yesterday I closed SeaMonkey and erased all the sessionstore-N.json files.
2. I re-started SM, the bak and json files both had Date Modification times of 11:47 6/9/2018.
3. I followed my usual weekend use of SM, dealing with emails and occasional browsing of sports and news sites. The sessionstore.json file was being continually updated as per changes in the modification date. The date on the .bak file remained at 11:47 am, since I never closed SM.
4. Additional sessionstore files were created:
sessionstore-1.json 6/9/2018 7:27 PM
sessionstore-2.json 6/9/2018 9:58 PM
sessionstore-3.json 6/10/2018 12:25 PM
sessionstore-4.json 6/10/2018 12:43 PM

The date on the sessionstore.json file is the current time (6/10/2018 12:50 PM). What has to happen to cause SM to create a numbered sessionstore file?
therube

Post by therube »

Antivirus or similar?
lem3

Post by lem3 »

In the 25 or so hours after I restarted SM at 11:47 6/9/2018 five of the sessionstore-N.json files were created. Acting on a suggestion I found in another forum I then disabled my anti-virus scan of "all files that are opened, saved or run". It has been 24 hours and there have been no additional sessionstore files created, that's good enough for me. I need to see if I can selectively disable scanning on certain files.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edit:
therube: I now see your response from earlier today... good call.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

I spoke too soon. I disabled all security suite monitoring of sessionstore but I just checked and I'm up to sessionstore-14.json. Is there some other file involved with this?
therube

Post by therube »

Did you?
As a test, create a new, clean Profile, open & close it saving your session & repeat.
lem3

Post by lem3 »

[Drat. I keep forgetting to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box.]

No. I have not been able to force creation of a numbered sessionstore file by opening/closing the browser in either the current or a new profile. One to five of the new files is created per day in both profiles even though the browser is never closed.

Monitoring the list of files in the profile, I see sessionstore.json is updated every few minutes. For some reason (even when I am asleep) SM occasionally can't (or thinks it can't) access the file and creates a sessionstore-N.json copy.