Firefox runs sluggish in windows 7 when using without glass

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
theannexed

Firefox runs sluggish in windows 7 when using without glass

Post by theannexed »

Hi,

Whenever I turn off desktop composition in windows 7, my latest version Mozilla Firefox runs extremely sluggish but when I turn it back on it's smooth again. So I can't go without desktop composition when using firefox? This only happens with firefox as chrome works fast without desktop composition.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox runs sluggish in windows 7 when using without gl

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
theannexed

Post by theannexed »

DanRaisch,

It did not resolve the problem in safemode nor on a new account with no extension. I only have adblock for extension. I deleted that as well.

Also want to add that this windows 7 is a fresh install.
therube

Post by therube »

What is "desktop composition"?

(My Win7 looks like XP.
My XP isXP.)
Windows Desktop Composition (DWM) enables visual effects on the desktop as well as various features such as glass window frames, 3-D window transition animations, Windows Flip and Windows Flip3D, and high resolution support.
AFAIK, I have everything turned off for "visual effects" except for drop shadows on desktop icons.

What video card (or onboard) are you using?
Any change if you test while running your computer in Safe Mode with Networking?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
theannexed

Post by theannexed »

Hi,

My video card is Nvidia GTX 780, it runs fine with everything basically. The "desktop composition" is basically the Windows 7 clear glass theme", I tried going into safemode on firefox. Only way to resolve is leaving desktop composition. It's just strange how Firefox reacts negatively when I turn it off. I've even reached out to people on #freenode windows to help, they couldn't figure it out . But they did give me one good insight. They told me that desktop composition uses the computer's GPU to process things and when it's off, it would use the CPU.
therube

Post by therube »

test while running your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
theannexed

Post by theannexed »

Nope, laggy in safe mode with networking, basically everything is laggy in safe mode.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just to be sure, you’re speaking of Windows Safe Mode with networking, right?
theannexed

Post by theannexed »

DanRaisch,

Yup, I went to msconfig and enabled boot into networking mode. After I restarted, I'm in networking safe mode. So in networking safe mode, moving things around is very sluggish. I'm not sure what safe mode would accomplish. Safe mode has always been sluggish for me.

To also fix this, when I use firefox, I have to set the computer back to aero glass and then switching it off but if i close the browser, i would have to do it again to fix the lag. So I have been doing this every time after I close and re-open the browser.