Lock a tab add-on

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Barkley Hound

Lock a tab add-on

Post by Barkley Hound »

I am looking for an add on that will both lock a tab and keep you from navigating away from its site. You can pin a tab but it does not stop navigating away. There were 2 add-ons that seemed to have the feature but one does not work with the current Firefox version and the other (Tabloc) did not add the choices to the right click menu as it said it would.

I need this since some websites such as crossword puzzles lose your progress if you navigate away by hitting the wrong key.
ZekeBlue

Re: Lock a tab add-on

Post by ZekeBlue »

Me too!

Tab Mix Plus has always provided this function, but web extensions have so far prevented it. Onemen is slowly working on restoring some functionality as bugs are resolved and capabilities added to quantum. I am optimistic we will see it come back, but not so optimistic about the time frame.
. . . . . . . . . . Zeke
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Does this extension not work the way you would expect?
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/tabloc/
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
ZekeBlue

Post by ZekeBlue »

smsmith wrote:Does this extension not work the way you would expect?
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/tabloc/
Thanks for the tip. It at least indicates that locking tabs is still possible. This extension does lock a tab and a link that would otherwise open in the same tab opens in a new tab. Nice. But if you refresh the tab, the lock goes away. A more minor event is opening a link from a locked tab makes the lock icon on the tab disappear even though the tab is still locked.

Nevertheless, I will keep it installed as the best we've got so far. Just have to remember to re-lock every time I refresh a locked tab.
. . . . . . . . . . Zeke
ZekeBlue

Post by ZekeBlue »

Update: I tried the autolock feature. Does work, but it puts three lock icons on the tab that also disappear as described before. And any opened links from the same domain open locked with three lock icons!

Still, I would use that feature some. Just very clunky overall. I will contact the author and see if some refinement is possible.
. . . . . . . . . . Zeke
ZekeBlue

Post by ZekeBlue »

Update 2: I did email the extension dev with suggestions. Meanwhile, I found that entering a specific page url in the auto lock list serves the purpose of persistence. Those pages will lock on restart and stay locked. Links from the same domain opened from the locked tab will not be locked. However, if you just enter the domain, eg, forums.mozillazine.org, links from the same domain will be locked when opened.
. . . . . . . . . . Zeke
max2

Post by max2 »

Me three!