Need help explaining this domain error.

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
bob c

Need help explaining this domain error.

Post by bob c »

Got this for a whole day, until I deleted all my Mozilla cookies. Once the old cookies were gone, I instantly had access again.
Can someone explain to me why, and where it came from?
Was a real panic thinking I could not reach the forum.

> https://i.imgur.com/jyrg1uP.jpg
Last edited by LIMPET235 on July 9th, 2018, 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
the-edmeister

Re: Need help explaining this domain error

Post by the-edmeister »

mozilla cookies have nothing to do with the outage of mozillazine.org

As stated in that message mentioned, ICANN shut-down this domain over what was evidently a "identification paperwork issues" which has been corrected.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
bob c

Re: Need help explaining this domain error.

Post by bob c »

this does not help me at all--and the cookies I deleted should have read for this mozillazine forum

still getting this error, even after a full scan of computer--showing nothing wrong with my system, just got back into this site, after doing a flush of dns cache, based on this site, http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/mozillazine.org.html, telling me this site is up and running. I will see if the flush dns cache holds, but if it does not, and the error comes back for me, any other suggestions.. May have to go to local library to read if can't get in from my computer. If it's not cookies, what on the web is sending me this error where I live--Florida, and spectrum is the service.
therube

Post by therube »

While the site was "down", it was still "accessible", though couldn't return any pertinent information.
So depending on how a site like isitdownrightnow works, it may have returned "running", which could very well have been the case, but not "running" in a state in which a user could do anything meaningful.

Otherwise, as the ICANN message states, it takes time for things to return to normal.
Likewise, takes time for things to propagate, so suppose there could still be glitches until all is updated, everywhere.

If things were not working, somewhat, we wouldn't be here much less able to post ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

At this point is it seems to be just a DNS propagation issue and you have to wait for YOUR DNS servers to be updated. I have Spectrum also and am in Hawaii and use LOCAL in Hawaii Spectrum DNS servers and no others. This site became accessible about 5 minutes ago on Fx 52.9 ESR. But interestingly, it was accessible on Edge browser much sooner but ONLY by typing "mozillazine.org" which took me to an ancient page from years ago here about the news site having gone into hibernation but the forums and knowledge base could still be accessed. However, on Edge EVEN NOW, if I type "forums.mozillazine.org" in the address bar, I get the ICANN message and can't get here but on Fx I can get here by typing "forums.mozillazine.org" so it must be more than a DNS propagation issue.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Mozillazine Site Discussion
elist74

Post by elist74 »

Me, (Having Rogers as ISP) I can't connect (having the ICANN thing). I only connect by using a proxy site.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

set 9.9.9.9 (quad9), 8.8.8.8 (google) or 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) as your dns server.
my provider here in germany is still not up2date so changing dns helped out.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

Somebody at ICANN needs a talking to. They seem too big fer their britches.
bob c

Post by bob c »

I will try the 8.8.8.8 etc.--still having to ipconfig /flushdns to reach this site. Had to do it now.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Glad all is returning to normal.

Thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

bob c wrote:I will try the 8.8.8.8 etc.--still having to ipconfig /flushdns to reach this site. Had to do it now.

While it was out, I couldn't get here at all. Nothing intermittent, just out. Once it came back, I've had no trouble at all; works every time without fail. You may (or may not) have something else going on.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

bob c wrote:Was a real panic thinking I could not reach the forum.
Well I'm sure it's not the end of the world if one of millions of websites is down for a while.

Put your inhalers away, guys, and chill.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I just got 404 File Not Found messages. Was afraid traffic had reduced to the point that Kerz pulled the plug. Glad all seems to be back and running
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Is this related to why I keep getting 404 errors when trying to use links in email to go to the forums when using Google Chrome or Vivaldi?
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi