Backwards/Forwards instead of Back/Forward (w/CTR)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Adrian Bell

Backwards/Forwards instead of Back/Forward (w/CTR)

Post by Adrian Bell »

My Firefox 30 was giving me certificate errors and would not let me view certain websites. Viewing the sites with Portable Firefox and then going back to my normal Firefox often cured this but sometimes would not. Does anyone have an idea what was going on there? (This isn't my main question).

Anyway I decided to upgrade to Firefox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit). After the upgrade I had to upgrade all of my extensions, including Classic Theme Restorer. I use this mainly so that I can have the toolbar buttons showing "Icons + Text" to make them bigger. I also have the tabs below the toolbar.

However instead of the words "Back" & "Forward" below the back/forward buttons I now have the words "Backwards" & "Forwards". Is this a Firefox change and is there any way to change it back? I tried installing Portable Firefox ESR and the same version of Classic Theme restorer and this shows "Back" & "Forward" as before. However the current Portable Firefox ESR is version 52.8.1 so the results are inconclusive.

When I downloaded Firefox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit) I could only find an "English" version, not an "English (GB)" version, not sure why, maybe I overlooked it. Upon checking later I found that there was an English (GB) version. I downloaded and installed this version without uninstalling the version I had, however there was no change. I have installed the English (GB) Language Pack and British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto) however this has made no difference, I'm not sure if I've enabled these in all of the relevant places but my spellchecker is now using British English and I have the word "Customise" (with an "s") in the menu.

It's just a small point but it is niggling me. Thanks for any help or insight into what is going on.
alpine5536

Re: Backwards/Forwards instead of Back/Forward (w/CTR)

Post by alpine5536 »

I use an add-on called Classic Toolbar Buttons 1.6.0. You can then customize your toolbar using these added icons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/
therube

Post by therube »

You'll find en-GB within here, http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/.

52 ESR would not have renamed the buttons.
Maybe there is a setting in CTR itself to do that?
Or maybe it just has to do with localization, en-US vs en-GB?

(SeaMonkey, en-US, uses Back & Forward.)

On my end 52.9, en-US, & CTR 177, all show as Back & Forward (Toolbars -> Page 1).

(There are a LOT of options in that hummer. Can you imagine, all the work, & support put into that over the years, & the Mozilla comes along & says, sorry.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Adrian Bell

Post by Adrian Bell »

therube wrote:Or maybe it just has to do with localization, en-US vs en-GB?
Upon testing it would appear that it is. I noticed that my version of Portable Firefox, despite downloading the GB version, had the word "color" (instead of "colour") in the settings. It also had the word "customize" (instead of "customise") in the menu. I therefore followed the instructions on this page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... guage-pack to change between US and GB and the back/forward buttons changed to backwards/forwards. Either all previous versions of Firefox I have had have been set to US or something has changed in the GB language pack.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. The buttons extension may fix this but I am reluctant to clutter everything up with a lot of needless buttons. I may just get used to it.

This leads me on to a further question: Where is the language pack and is it easily editable so that I can just change these words myself, or is it a lot more involved than that?