Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

Post by Ztruker »

Trying to search using Google, the cursor is placed at the upper right of the input area and only displays 19 characters. It continues to take data as I type it but the input rolls off to the left.

For instance, I typed 0123456789012345678901234 and I see 6789012345678901234. Also, I can't select the data I typed to copy. This is recent, in the last few days. Anyone else seeing it? Okay with Edge and IE.

Tried SeaMonkey Safe Mode, same problem so it's not an Add-on. I've not tried a new profile, will do that next.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Ztruker

Re: Google search messed up with SeaMonkey 2.49.3

Post by Ztruker »

Works okay with a new, clean profile. Any suggestions on how I go about determining what in my profile is causing this? I really, really don't want to start over with a new one.

The only things I've been messing with recently are three general.useragent.override strings, one for Ebay and two for AT&T.
Rich
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

If I login to my Google (Gmail) account, all is well again. Logout and it's messed up as I described in my first post.

I also tried deleting all cookies (hated to do that as now I have to enter login data at all the sites I regularly visit, but thought it was worth a try.). Didn't help.
Rich
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ztruker wrote:Works okay with a new, clean profile. Any suggestions on how I go about determining what in my profile is causing this? I really, really don't want to start over with a new one.
Make backup of malfunctioning profile. You know, when you'll start messing with settings it's better to have backup.

If you have older backup (and you should make it regularly) that was working correct then compare "prefs.js" from both profiles (crippled old and working new). Maybe you'll find some hits.

Another way is to delete "prefs.js" file from old profile (when SeaMonkey is not running). It will bring all setting to default. All of them. Don't worry about messages - they should stay safe (but it's better to have backup).

Any changes in behavior of SeaMonkey while running on old profile?
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Ztruker wrote:If I login to my Google (Gmail) account, all is well again. Logout and it's messed up as I described in my first post.
Check for any Google plugins (toolbar or something).
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

As I said in my initial post, I tried SeaMonkey Safe Mode which means no Add-ons (also checked Add-ons manager, nothing Google related, just Adobe Acrobat and Shockwave.
Rich
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Ztruker wrote:Trying to search using Google, the cursor is placed at the upper right of the input area and only displays 19 characters. It continues to take data as I type it but the input rolls off to the left.

For instance, I typed 0123456789012345678901234 and I see 6789012345678901234. Also, I can't select the data I typed to copy. This is recent, in the last few days. Anyone else seeing it? Okay with Edge and IE.

Tried SeaMonkey Safe Mode, same problem so it's not an Add-on. I've not tried a new profile, will do that next.
What you describe would be explained by the width of the searchbar or urlbar, both of which can be resized. The behaviour is exactly what I'd expect, i.e. there is a limit to the number of characters that a searchbar can accommodate. Select by double clicking the entry.

This wouldn't always change is SafeMode, but may with a new profile, just because there is a default width. So..a screenshot would help....as would you telling us whether we are talking about searching in the searchbar or urlbar, instead of us having to guess.

Meantime, try resizing the searchbar by dragging the resizer between the searchbar and urlbar.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

I'm using the search bar in the middle of the screen. It's the same size it's always been. It's messed up as I described (I'll post pics) if I don't login to Google. As soon as I login to Google (my gmail id) then it works as it is supposed to. Nothing else is changed.

This is when I'm not signed in. Notice where the input is displayed, top left in the search box. I entered 0123456789 three times but only 19 characters are showing.

This is after I logged in. All is as it should be. I have done nothing else, just logged in. Now all 30 characters are displayed and the input is left justified in the search box as it should be.
Rich
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

Hah, looks like Google has added some crappy sniffing.

I added general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko in about:config, then went to Google, signed out and everything is still okay. Looks and behaves as it's supposed to, same is it did when I signed in.
Rich
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Good job I asked for screenshots! The yellow strip at the top is the urlbar and to the right of it is the searchbar. - these are part of SeaMonkey. The Google webpage is not.

No idea what is causing this, probably cookies or browser sniffing or the like.

Edit - just seen this -
Ztruker wrote:Hah, looks like Google has added some crappy sniffing.

I added general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko in about:config, then went to Google, signed out and everything is still okay. Looks and behaves as it's supposed to, same is it did when I signed in.
Most odd. I was grasping at straws when I said about sniffing, I didn't think it would be that! Why would a new profile be OK?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

One of these extensions gives me the Google search bar on the URL Line.

I'm happy that adding the about:config general.useragent.override.google.com fixe4d it.
Rich
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

G is doing some extremely unethical things recently which is why many are switching away from them to alternatives like the Duck. I wish everyone would.
ferrari0624

Post by ferrari0624 »

Hi - Was relieved when I saw this post as my SeaMonkey started doing the same exact thing today. The screenshots are a perfect match to mine. Unfortunately, I'm not that tech savvy about editing about:config.
Can some kind soul help me with a lesson on how to enter

"general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

So that i might fix this quite annoying issue?
Much thanks in advance,
Joe
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ferrari0624 wrote:Can some kind soul help me with a lesson on how to enter

"general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

So that i might fix this quite annoying issue?
First of all update to latest SeaMonkey 2.49.3:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.3
Unfortunately, it must be done manually. IMHO it's the best method to be sure everything was OK with update and I'm recommending it for every update (even when autoupdate is working correct).

Proceed with this steps:
1) in Address Bar type (or paste):

Code: Select all

about:config
2) when you'll see warning (and you should) then click "I accept the risk!"
3) in Search Bar you can type "override" to check if there are requested settings (just to be sure you'll not double anything)
3) if you did no. 3 then you can easily look for

general.useragent.site_specific_overrides
... to check if it is set to default "true". If not then click RMB (Right Mouse Button) and choose "Reset" (when preference is default then Reset is grayed out)
4) if new preferences is not present already (e.g. you did it in past but forgot about this) then click RMB anywhere and choose: New -> String
5) In window named "New string value" (IMHO it's wrong and there should be "name" in it) enter/paste new preference name:

general.useragent.override.google.com
... and lick OK (or press Enter key).
6) New window will pop-up "Enter string value" for "general.useragent.override.google.com". You can enter/paste here new value:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
... or do it later. Click OK (press Enter key).
7) now you should see new preference. If there is no new value or you want to change old one then just double click LMB on it and edit as you want.
It should work without restart of SeaMonkey.

And remember! Such override is made per domain (here: google.com). If you want to use country specific domain (e.g. google.pl, google.co.uk, google.de) then you must add new preferences.

And make sure you want advertise Microsoft IE instead of SeaMonkey (or at least Firefox)... :-"
ferrari0624

Post by ferrari0624 »

Sorry for the delay getting back here, but wanted to thank you so much for the detailed explanation - it worked perfectly!