wierd thing: when typing an email, jumps to mailbox review

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
terrathunderbird

wierd thing: when typing an email, jumps to mailbox review

Post by terrathunderbird »

There's a weird thing that happens once in a while. It goes away when/if I quite TB. But I'd like to figure out how to stop it from happening without quitting out and having to reopen everything again.

I'll be typing an email message, and then the mouse icon spins as if it's working. I can't type during that spinning. THEN in the middle of spinning, the icon jumps to the mailbox, reviewing, marking, and sometimes archiving messages on its own.

Anyone seen this before? any ideas?
DanRaisch

Re: wierd thing: when typing an email, jumps to mailbox revi

Post by DanRaisch »

I've never seen any mentions of the latter part of that report on these forums.

The lag could be caused by Thunderbird saving the draft message to disk if you have it set to do that periodically. (Menu pat Tools->Options->Composition->General0>Auto Save every NN minutes) You could try unchecking that if it is currently checked.)

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.

The rest...are you trying to type or move the cursor around during the spinning? That might be storing clicks and keystrokes that result in the odd action when the lag ends.
It seems you are using an obsolete version of Firefox. What version of Thunderbird are you running? (Menu path Help->About Thunderbird.)
terrathunderbird

52.8.0 (32-bit). I just downloaded an update.

I thought I updated FF recently. Will do so.

Thx for the reminder.

I've got autosave at 5 min. I like autosave. Does 5 min seem excessive?

No moving of cursors that I know of. BUT I might be fidgety. So I'll pay attention to that.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
No, saving every 5 minutes would not normally be considered excessive. However, if you have an IMAP type account and are saving the drafts to the server it could be a factor.
terrathunderbird

Oh yes. It is IMAP. And yes, I have had issues with syncing, which are "better" since I set it up. At first it was marking things unread, read, unread, read, back and forth without my doing anything. And it is still doing this, albeit less. That said, I haven't actually quit and let the updates install yet, because of personal problems that got in the way today. Hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas. This is very helpful.

Oh, also, in case it IS something to do with IMAP, is there any way to get it to stop marking things read/unread seemingly randomly? The GoDaddy email program is quite limited in its options on the GoDaddy side. So any tweaks will probably have to be made in TB.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Status flipping like that is very definitely not normal (with IMAP or POP accounts) and is not something I have seen reported here. Is it the same messages going from read to unread or unread to read? Does it happen while TB is running or does the status change after TB is closed and then restarted?
Are you accessing that GoDaddy account through different devices/programs like a computer and a smart phone?
terrathunderbird

Accessing GoDaddy through a regular computer and a netbook. But the netbook is asleep during all this, as in "not connected", at least not that I can tell. When it wakes up to get used, it has to reconnect.

The read/unread thing is different than what I originally wrote in for. But the read/unread thing happens when TB is running. It seems completely random.

The "window flipping" (I'll call it) where I'm writing an email and then suddenly the icon is going up and down the inbox marking things unread and moving them to the archive is what I originally wrote in for.