Incompatibility with firefox quantum/portable & outlook.com

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Majorbuzz

Incompatibility with firefox quantum/portable & outlook.com

Post by Majorbuzz »

Hello. I'm using Firefox Quantum/Portable version 61 on a Windows 10 PC. At the same time I use Firefox 53.00 because of its legacy extensions. Both are installed separately on the same computer.
If I go to my hotmail/outlook online account to compose an HTML email using Quantum/Portable and start typing in the body of the email, my selected default font is fine. However, as soon as I hit "The Space Bar" to move on to type the second word, the first word (and all text going forward) instantly change to a smaller size. If I type the entire email, then 'copy all' in hopes of changing the font to the default size 10, the font changes erratically to all different sizes. There's no work around.
I should note that this does NOT happen when using Firefox 53.00. Can anyone else try to simulate this problem and maybe figure out why this is happening?
IMPORTANT: I also experience the same problem if I'm using Firefox Quantum/Portable in safe mode (without any extensions). Thank You
Last edited by Majorbuzz on July 12th, 2018, 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Re: INCOMPATIBILITY WITH FIREFOX QUANTUM/PORTABLE & OUTLOOK.

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.

Not seeing that issue here with regular Firefox 61.0.1 under Win 10.

quote]as soon as I hit "ENTER" to move on to type the second word,[/quote]
I assume that by "second word" you actually mean "second line" or "second paragraph" as there would be no reason to hit "Enter" after each word. Is that correct?

Have you tried creating a new installation of Firefox Portable, making sure to use the latest version of 61.x.x, to see if the problem persists in a new profile?
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

Hi DanRaisch. Thanks so much for trying to help me. I did make a mistake in my original post, which I corrected just now. It should not have said "enter' key, it is the 'space' bar that I tap to move to the second word .... though I just tried the 'enter' key as well, and the font decreases immediately either way. I am indeed using Firefox/Portable 61.0.1. However, it is not actually 'INSTALLED" on my PC, though it resides on my C drive. There is a way to actually have version 53 installed in the traditional way, and yet be able to use a portable version at the same time. They will actually run at the same time if you desire as well. If you haven't heard of this, let me present you with a link which will explain how and why someone might want to do this.

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-emai ... -57-a.html
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

We're well aware of how the portable and regular versions can be used on one machine, even at the same time. What we have not seen any reports of (other than your own) is font size changes in Hotmail/Outlook simply by advancing one space or one line in composing a message.

Are you creating a totally new message or forwarding or replying to a received message when the font issue appears?
Have you tried creating a new installation of Firefox Portable, making sure to use the latest version of 61.x.x, to see if the problem persists in a new profile?
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

It happens when either composing a new message or replying to a previous message. I should mention that since my wife has the same browser set up on her machine (Windows 7 though) she is experiencing the same thing. This didn't happen on either machine about a month ago with the previous version of Outlook.com. It started when Microsoft forced their new version upon us.

I tried to see and then Googled how to find out a version number for the latest version for Outlook.com, but hit a wall DanRaisch. Yesterday I also tried using a Gmail account I never use except for logins for certain sites and didn't have any problems at all.

So, best I can figure is .... font only goes awry with Quantum/Portable with the latest version of Outlook.com
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Very strange as the portable version is just the regular Firefox with a different launcher and different location for the profile/data.
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

It is a strange situation indeed. Though I also just tried Outlook.com using "Plain Text" and no problem. There's definitely an HTML issue on outbound email only.

DonRaisch do you see any reason why I shouldn't continue to use the current desktop configuration of the two browsers? I just ask because I've spent a good amount of time setting up the portable version with various extensions, their settings, bookmarks etc. It would be kind of a pain to have to install regular Quantum and start all over.

Though I'm wondering if Portable Firefox will come to an end if John T. Haller steps away from it for some reason.
Last edited by Majorbuzz on July 13th, 2018, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You could install another standard version in a different installation directory and create a different profile for use with that installation.

https://superuser.com/questions/790552/ ... of-firefox
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

Thanks a lot for the link. After reading all but the comments, both methods supposedly have potential problems. I don't envision needing separate profiles, so if you think that there will always be continued support for Portable Firefox (with or without Mr. Haller) as long as Firefox exists, it would be easiest for me to leave things as they are.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

if you think that there will always be continued support for Portable Firefox (with or without Mr. Haller) as long as Firefox exists,
I see no reason to think that there won't be portable versions going forward but don't know anything for certain on that score.

If you can live without the legacy extensions in the portable version, why not simply move up to the current standard version of Thunderbird for all your use?
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

I do use version 53 somewhat frequently because of the legacy add-ons. I know that the browser is "OLD', and I've already seen banners on certain sites recommending me to upgrade. I thoroughly understand that, but because Quantum was such a radical change, I wanted to see if I could live with it. I can, but in certain instances, I find myself having to open the old version. One day I'll have no choice but to use Quantum as my only browser.

That's why I stated previously ... I've spent a good amount of time setting up the portable version with various extensions, their settings, bookmarks etc. It would be kind of a pain to have to install regular Quantum and start all over.
If there was a way to simply move all my new WB extensions (with their settings), new bookmark folders I've created, etc ... I'd make the move. But if Portable will be around for as long as standard Firefox, it would make things easier to just stick with it. :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Firefox Portable will likely be around for a long time but it's going to keep updating along with the regular Firefox version.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

using old versions is dangerous. but most people are to convenient to search or ask for solutions for quantum. dont do online banking or similar, never with old builds´, you are not aware of the risks, truly!
If I go to my hotmail/outlook online account
both is bound to live.com from microsoft

if quantum (current v61) as portable fails then its caused from your system, maybe a wrong set security software (as the majore issue causing piece of software)

i can tell you that quantum dont has issues with outlook.com (which ends in live.com).
at least we run circles - its your system, how ever.
Majorbuzz

Post by Majorbuzz »

Hi Dan. The fact that Firefox Portable will be around for a long time AND will update sounds perfect to me, until one day I bite the bullet and blow away version 53 and install Quantum the traditional way. As I mentioned there will be a lot of manual updating to the traditional installation of Quantum since I've been setting up portable Quantum with new WB extensions, Bookmarks, settings, etc .... which as you know resides in a separate Firefox folder that resides on the root of my C drive. To the best of my knowledge, I see no way to install Quantum traditionally into the appdata > Mozilla folder and somehow be able to copy over all that I've done with Portable. I would have to start from scratch. A good project for an entire rainy week. LOL

Hi Brummelchen. Welcome! I'm pretty good with Windows computers from Windows 98 SE through 10. I understand using an old version browser like version 53 of Firefox is dangerous. As you probably read through our discussion above, I'm having the same issue with Portable on 2 separate computers. One runs Windows 7 with current Symantec 360 and browser set up. Mine is running the same security and browser set up on Windows 10. The issue is simply an incompatibility with Portable Firefox and using HTML at Outlook.Com. I very respectively have to disagree that there is a system setting that is awry with 2 different computers using two different operating systems. This HTML issue has not manifested itself in any way including other webmail such as GMail. Please keep in mind that there is no email issue with Hotmail/Live/Outlook, if the setting within that web email program is reset so email composing is set to "Plain text". Cheers!

Just as a note ... I realize that Outlook.com, is the most recent name for Microsoft's web mail. Preceding that was live.com, and the first incarnation was Hotmail. Regardless of steering your browser to either 3 of those names and using dot com, you're still going to end up at the same page.
Microsoft in all their infinite wisdom still cannot come up with a "Good" name for their web mail, so they elect to confuse the general public by continually changing it. Hotmail had a sexist connotation to it in some peoples eyes. Live.com confused many running Windows 7, since the app came with that operating system and was called Live Desktop, and they still just didn't get it right, so Microsoft changed their email domain to Outlool dot com to even further confuse people with Microsoft's Office suite that offers the desktop application "Outlook". Maybe next go around Microsoft should rename their email Word.com. LOL

I'm sorry about the rant, but I don't hold Microsoft in high regard, but that's for one of their forums where there are hundreds of thousands of people that will verbally agree with my assessment.

{{{TIME PASSES}}} I went back to Outlook AFTER disabling my Norton Suite. Unfortunately that didn't help.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, but i only can repeat that firefox is NOT causing your problem. and indirect you confirm it when you write that two systems show same issue. either those system are configured the same way or you account has issues - or something on the line. currently working with chromium - again no issue: copy/paste plain text/formatted text - no change.

btw outlook.com dont has any --> "then 'copy all' " button. how do you perfom this?

provide some information please (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

PS experience should help you out to determine where the issue is caused. i told you i have no issue, i dont have any on any system here.
could be either my system, or my outlook account, or you run any extension causing this. have you tried other systems? maybe a friend, or i-net cafe?

concerning portable firefox from papps.com (john haller) - well, they have announced to grab money for the newest stuff, in the near future. portable firefox is a great deal to make money. anyhow my firefox's (several) are running like portable, there is no big difference against an installed version