Props, Quantum devs!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ander

Props, Quantum devs!

Post by Ander »

I just wanted to express my appreciation—and, frankly, awe—to Firefox Quantum's developers!

I've been a FF advocate since its earliest days, but its performance had fallen behind. It was no longer an easy task convincing people to switch over from other browsers which ran so noticeably faster. It got to the point where I actually considered switching to another browser myself (the one so unimaginatively named after the term FF people have used since the early 2000s for visual enhancements).

Then Quantum burst upon the scene! It was obviously written from the ground up, or the inside out, or however you describe something that exists in directionless space. It zooms! Great job, guys! Hope I'm using enough exclamation points here.

There's no longer any excuse not to use FF—unless, of course, you prefer to sacrifice any vestige of privacy, and sleep better at night knowing your online life is being tenderly managed by people wearing shoes that cost as much as cars.

Anyone else want to mention how impressed they are? Feel free to jump in.

Other than that, all I can say is: Whee! Cheers, A.
pirst

Re: Props, Quantum devs!

Post by pirst »

no. just say no to such weird instances of pride parades and worshiping resembling PR in remote lands of red, white and blue axis of always be brexiting Dr Evil eg North Korea, China or USSR.
therube

Post by therube »

It was obviously written from the ground up
Hardly!
(Though I wish it had been.)
There's no longer any excuse not to use FF
Well, that is if you don't require the use of working, meaningful extensions, or the ability to customize.
Anyone else want to mention how impressed they are?
Sorry, in my book, what they takeith away does not offset what they giveith back.

@pirst, heh :-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Ander wrote: There's no longer any excuse not to use FF.
Depends what your requirements are. Tbh, speed differences are neither here nor there in my experience. It comes down to overall features and usability. I'm currently 50-50 between Firefox and Opera on my home PCs.

At new work contract Chrome is the default, as seems to be the case these days. I stuck with that for about two days and installed Opera, but I could just as well have installed Firefox. Both are way better than Chrome IMO.
frg

Post by frg »

Ahhh A best browser thread. Have not seen one for a long time :)

Yes Fx is the best and it finally shows in the stats!

https://imgur.com/a/ELUcu9K

Better close this thread. It will go nowhere.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Ander--

no devs here, but you might want to thank them at mozilla.org and send them a gift-wrapped lump of coal or donate a rubber check ;-)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
earther

Post by earther »

A lump of coal indeed. There's a reason this forum is now a zombie. There's very little to rejoice about with FF these days. The life has been sucked right out of it. Thanks FF for killing the joy . . .
msdobrescu

Post by msdobrescu »

Hello, I disagree.

Well, Quantum might be faster than previous Firefox version. This is useless as long as FQ lost the customizability.

But this is not all. (not shouting here, just emphasizing)

It is a threat to privacy. I have pointed out that, but who cares, seems Mozilla wants to sell something.
See this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1386723

I quote (from myself :)):

"Is Firefox meant to leak my data, after all? I don't see a reason to allow permissions an add-on would request, as long as that add-on wouldn't need them, but, malevolently, becomes a trap for the user in order to steal some private data and sell that to third parties without user's consent? This is the very definition of malware/spyware.
Assuming I use a font add-on in order to better design a web application, why that add-on would ask permission to access all my browsing data, that could be, for example, my gmail account or worse, my banking information? See this: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pe ... extensions

"Access your data for all websites The extension can read the content of any web page you visit as well as data you enter into those web pages, such as usernames and passwords.

Extensions requesting this permission might:

Read product and price information from a page to help find you the best price on items you're shopping for
Offer a password manager that reads and writes details of your username and password
Provide an ad blocker by reading the content of each web page you open to find and remove ad code"

Is this Firefox's actual purpose, then?"

I put an emphasis on usernames and passwords.

They sold WebExtensions as being more secure, with security and privacy in mind and so on, and so on. Now, I think it is actually reversed.

I don't say vote for this bug, although the userbase should react and would be good to have it reopened, but we must fight for our privacy actively and ask for some action in this direction.

What do you think?
therube

Post by therube »

Is there anything new here (privacy)?
If anything, you are apt to be more private then with Legacy extensions.
It is only that you are now being made aware - specifically.

That Permission request page (both the extension popup & the linked support webpage), is simply absurd, meaningless, in that people will simply ignore, not care about, whatever permissions are displayed & will simply install their wonderful (web)extension anyhow.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript