Mozilla plans to remove RSS feed reader and Live Bookmarks

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Snake4

Mozilla plans to remove RSS feed reader and Live Bookmarks

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on July 26th, 2018, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Mozilla plans to remove RSS feed reader and Live Bookmar

Post by malliz »

I thought RSS was already dead.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

malliz wrote:I thought RSS was already dead.
i wouldnt know as i havent used it in probably a decade or so. will this also affect Thunderbird users ? when tb68ESR is released

Edit : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1477667
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
frg

Post by frg »

Should not affect TB much but I doubt there will be an ESR68 version of SeaMonkey or Thunderbird. Firefox is turning into a primitive html viewer with less and less customization and the platform is dismantled one piece at at time.

Bug shows the current mood. Instead of modernizing they just remove. Decision is made behind closed doors based on bogus data.

The feature is probably not that important but you will the smooth integration when it is removed. They should have at least provided an api for interacting with the ui.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

frg wrote:Should not affect TB much but I doubt there will be an ESR68 version of SeaMonkey or Thunderbird. Firefox is turning into a primitive html viewer with less and less customization and the platform is dismantled one piece at at time.

Bug shows the current mood. Instead of modernizing they just remove. Decision is made behind closed doors based on bogus data.

The feature is probably not that important but you will the smooth integration when it is removed. They should have at least provided an api for interacting with the ui.
i can see Thunderbird surviving but not Seamonkey . but yeah as i said above i aint even used RSS in a long time so it wont bother me
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
frg

Post by frg »

SeaMonkey is mostly frontend code. If the mailnews backend survives so can SeaMonkey. Just not enough devs but it can be done. If XUL parts like the XUL tree and more if the widgets are removed it is game over for some time and this is what is imminent.

The funny thing is that I just read that rss is on the upswing :) It is a really neat feature and I use it with the news & blog part of SeaMonkey (same as in TB).
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

FWIW, I think I already have all the feeds I'm going to be subscribed to in Thunderbird, until comm-esr67 Changelog comes around (unless it is comm-esr68).

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/?sort=lastchange

If there is no RSS column on that site and no Feed button in Page Info for a selected link, then I just won't follow that changelog.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Please help me to understand the ramifications of this news. I use RSS in an unconventional way - I have just a few bookmarks like this: http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml that I visit occasionally. I don’t use Live Bookmarks or a reader, I just view the page and click on any of the links that interest me. It’s a super-clean, super-simple format that appeals to me. I don’t need instant updates.

The way I’m reading this article from Ghack’s, it sounds like Future versions of Firefox will no longer be able to parse those pages? Is that correct?
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Mo_D wrote:... I have just a few bookmarks like this: http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml that I visit occasionally...The way I’m reading this article from Ghack’s, it sounds like Future versions of Firefox will no longer be able to parse those pages? Is that correct?
From the bug comments "with the removal of the feed preview, clicking on that bookmark will open an unreadable xml", so I would say, yes, that seems to be correct.
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

While it appears to so far be somewhat of a work in progress, Livemarks appears to be a similar webextension replacement. There are also various feed reader extensions available, search AMO for "rss".
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

custom.firefox.lady wrote:While it appears to so far be somewhat of a work in progress, Livemarks appears to be a similar webextension replacement. There are also various feed reader extensions available, search AMO for "rss".
Thanks. If I ever update from 52.9, I will check it out :wink:
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Nothing missing as far as Feed support goes in 52.9.1. Still supported in 62.0.

The work is expected to be done in Fx 63 or 64 according to the bug report.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5