Deleted e-mails, "X-mozilla Status" and IMAP.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
MicheleBS

Deleted e-mails, "X-mozilla Status" and IMAP.

Post by MicheleBS »

Dear Forum,

I have deleted a message by mistake from the "Sent" folder, probably through my E-Mail App on the smartphone. I run my account by IMAP with several different devices (Thunderbird software / Remote Apps / Webmail etc.), and I am well-informed about how Thunderbird keeps e-mails storaged within its folders even if they have been locally deleted, with the "X-mozilla Status" variable, until you compact it, so before to sync Thunderbird to the remote server, I opened my local Sent file and copied the missing e-mail text in a separate .txt file, as a backup.

In these cases, I know there is somewhat a conflict between Thunderbird and IMAP:

- I copy and paste again the full informations about the deleted e-mail from my backup .txt to the Sent file
- I set "X-mozilla Status" to the proper 0000 value
- I open Thunderbird and
- I Repair the "Sent" folder

but Synchronizing with remote IMAP makes the message to be immediately deleted again from the local Sent file. And if I try to Repair the "Sent" folder (after having pasted the missing e-mail from the .txt) in offline mode, Thunderbird can't proceed until I go on-line, the folder staying empty until I go online.

So how to do?
I hope that my explanation of the issue was clear enough.

Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: Deleted e-mails, "X-mozilla Status" and IMAP.

Post by DanRaisch »

Don't paste the message (the content of the .txt file) into the Sent folder linked to the IMAP server but into the Sent folder under Thunderbird's Local Folders structure.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Personally I would have just set "when I delete a message" to "just mark it as deleted" in the accounts server settings, selected the deleted message (it should have a line drawn through it in the folder listing if the folder wasn't compacted) in the remote folder, and deleted it again. That undeletes it.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts
MicheleBS

Post by MicheleBS »

DanRaisch wrote:Don't paste the message (the content of the .txt file) into the Sent folder linked to the IMAP server but into the Sent folder under Thunderbird's Local Folders structure.
Wonderful! Thank you DanRaisch.

In %MyProfile%/Mail/Local Folders I couldn't see any "Sent" folder. Only msgFilterRules.dat, Trash (in couple with its .msf companion) and Unsent Messages (with its .msf, too):

So, I created a file named Sent where I pasted the text of the deleted e-mail, and it immediately appeared.

Then, copied the e-mail to the IMAP "Sent" folder, and all came back to the so desired golden era, with all the messages alive and healthy.

:!:
Last edited by MicheleBS on August 4th, 2018, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MicheleBS

Post by MicheleBS »

duplicate
Last edited by MicheleBS on August 4th, 2018, 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.