MozillaZine

Clicking on a link in a Google search result not working

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Ztruker

User avatar
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: February 27th, 2005, 1:08 pm
Location: Melbourne, Fl

Post Posted August 5th, 2018, 8:07 pm

If I do a Google search then left click on a result, nothing happens. Right click and Open in new tab or Open in new window works okay.

In Seamoinkey Safe-mode it works correctly.
I disabled all my add-ons, no help.
Removed user.js, no help.
Removed prefs.js so a new, default prefs,js was created and it works correctly so something I did in prefs.js is causing this but I can't figure out what. The only thing I've been doing is in about:config, trying different UA strings to see if some websites are having sniffing problems.

I have added several site specific UA overrides for some sites like:

general.useragent.override.att.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
general.useragent.override.att.net;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
general.useragent.override.ebay.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko


I can't think of any other settings I've changed in there around the time this started happening (2 weeks or so).
Rich
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 20420
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted August 6th, 2018, 3:59 am

Ztruker wrote:I have added several site specific UA overrides for some sites like:

general.useragent.override.google.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko[/b]

The long answer is long and a bit complicated.

So, short answer - for Google try using a Firefox UA string. There are sites online that can give you lists of UA strings, so just find a, say, Firefox 60 one amongst them.

As a general rule (which I've broken at times) try to use Firefox UA with overrides, instead of IE's Trident. Webpages are often/mostly coded slightly differently for different browsers and glitches can occur sometimes if you stray too far away from your real browser UA.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Ztruker

User avatar
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: February 27th, 2005, 1:08 pm
Location: Melbourne, Fl

Post Posted August 6th, 2018, 8:12 am

Thanks Frank. Changed it to Firefox 66.0 and it works. Thinking back, it was around the time I added the UA string for Google that this started.
Rich
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Ztruker

User avatar
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: February 27th, 2005, 1:08 pm
Location: Melbourne, Fl

Post Posted August 6th, 2018, 9:03 am

Hmmm, US string at the bottom of my post looks wrong. Trying again.
Rich
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Return to SeaMonkey Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests