2 new tabs open all by themselves--why?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
therube

Re: 2 new tabs open all by themselves--why?

Post by therube »

But when a tab loads, like musing-hermann----, isn't that like I am visiting that site?
Yes, you are (were) visiting that site.
But, you said that behavior has now stopped.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Ronbo announced that he might switch to chrome if his issues wont be resolved (my understanding of this text)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14806114
ronbo

Post by ronbo »

I have had NO problems since I replaced my Profile with one I backed up a few months ago--It's the only one I have with me--I'm on the road.

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

Ron
joelee

Post by joelee »

Fyi I got this problem on Debian too, so this definitely a FF or extension problem not a malware on the PC.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;P
therube

Post by therube »

So if you restart in Safe Mode, the issue does not occur?

Maybe it's time for those affected to list their extensions & see if there is some commonality.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Nurtchy

Post by Nurtchy »

The culprit has been determined with high probability to be "Easy Youtube Mp3" on other forums.
Uninstalling this addon will stop the musing-hermann and searchlock tabs from opening.
Anyone still dealing with these tabs auto-opening should uninstall "Easy Youtube Mp3" and report back.
Nurtchy

Post by Nurtchy »

Perhaps this is obvious, but I feel I should also add that deleting/wiping of any Mozilla-related cache files should be performed as well, this malware appears to store hexadecimal-named archive files within Mozilla's cache folders in order to maintain itself.

I've been using ubuntu and firefox since 2011, and this malware is the first one I've encountered so far. Made it my mission to eradicate it entirely. After wiping all Mozilla cache folders, uninstalling "Easy Youtube Mp3" I have had no more tabs pop up in two weeks.
therube

Post by therube »

URL to the extension?
(As in, is it this, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... converter/ ?)

(I asked about this on #amo)