Tabs open automatically with malware sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
oldyellr

Re: Tabs open automatically with malware sites

Post by oldyellr »

@The Visitor
After clearing the cache and all cookies, I never had a malicious tab open all day that had to be blocked. It was that simple. Thanks for the tip.
TheVisitor

Re: Tabs open automatyically with malware sites

Post by TheVisitor »

oldyellr wrote:@The Visitor
After clearing the cache and all cookies, I never had a malicious tab open all day that had to be blocked. It was that simple. Thanks for the tip.
Your welcome..
therube

Post by therube »

(cache and all cookies. While it can't hurt in doing that, I've got doubts that that has put an end to the issue?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

therube wrote:(cache and all cookies. While it can't hurt in doing that, I've got doubts that that has put an end to the issue?)
Well, it's worked for the second day I did that. No more spontaneous tabs opening. MSE and Malwarebytes say my computer is clean, so that's not where it was coming from. I can only conclude that cookies were planted in my browser by malicious site that were opening those tabs. Only a slight inconvenience having to sign into sites again for the first time that automatically logged me in.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hopefully by now you disabled or removed BlockSite, if that's the one you were using: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... dangerous/
oldyellr

Post by oldyellr »

I don't believe the add-on mentioned there is the same one I have. This is what I have
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-site-2/
It isn't doing any harm and bl=ocked the sites I wanted it to and I haven't had any malicious tabs pop up ever since I deleted cache and cookies.
therube

Post by therube »

So not only has AMO been gutted, they are so wanting to have anything there, that is what they accept, anything, including malware.
So not only has AMO spurned all the legitimate extension developers, they are so wanting to have anyone create anything, that is what they accept, everyone, including big.spy.on.you.com.

Take "Allen", an "education".
Here he is, a dozen or so extensions. His "websites", each using the same limited one page template, & that's it.

Why?

Given these times, given what is now "allowed", given what can be "gotten", is "Allen" Allen, or is he only a stooge for big.spy.on.you.com?

Maybe that is not the case, maybe he is simply a guy who in order to "education" has come up with these extensions for his own use, & thought he'd share them with the world. :-).

Isn't it wonderful that you cannot have any sort of trust in the majority of the extensions that one might install these days.
Isn't it wonderful that even your browser maker does dubious things for your benefit.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
oldyellr

Re: Tabs open automatically with malware sites

Post by oldyellr »

Well, since it isn't doing anything for me anymore, I'll just disable the add-on.