Problem inputting text

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Tarras

Problem inputting text

Post by Tarras »

HP 27-n103a, Windows 10 Home (x64} Version 1803 (build 17134 165), i7-6700T, 8GB memory, 2TB hard drive, HP USB wireless keyboard. Firefox 62.0b12 (64 bit).

When I enter text into Firefox from the keyboard it frequently misses a character. I am a two finger typist watching the keyboard and don’t notice this until I get an error beep from the computer. I usually find that a dialogue box has been opened and a subsequent keystroke has been interpreted as illegal. It is difficult to determine which key stroke precipitated this but it seems to happen when a double character is input or when characters on adjoining keys are input. There are other key combinations that may be causing an error such a space followed by shift+letter key.

It only occurs with Firefox and is obviously more frequent when I am typing an email into webmail. I have suspected that the keyboard may be at fault and replaced the batteries to no avail. I see that other people are having similar problems. The HP keyboard may be at fault as it is obviously a low cost mass produced device.

I am tempted to buy a better quality keyboard but reluctant to spend about $100 for a new one if it is not going to cure the problem.

Can I have some opinions please?
Tarras - New Zealand
LIMPET235

Re: Problem inputting text

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to the Builds forum...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Tarras

Post by Tarras »

Why has my post been moved to the Builds forum?
Tarras - New Zealand
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

You are using a Beta version, that's why.
Tarras

Post by Tarras »

Don't know how that happened, it was not intentional on my part. I have just changed it back to version 61.0.2, 64 bit and problem is still there. It appears that that some keystrokes are being interpretated as a right mouse click.
Tarras - New Zealand
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Does the keyboard have a built in trackpad? Perhaps you are triggering the "right click" by accident?

Does the keyboard have one of those little mouse nubs? Perhaps you are triggering the right click by accident?

Does the keyboard have a menu key? On mine, it's on the "0" key of the number pad, and I have to hold the FN key while pressing 0, but on some keyboards it's a separate key.

Does the keyboard have a setup program? Perhaps there is a key combo set to open the menu. Which menu opens when this happens? What are the menu choices?

This may be best in the Tech forum, so I am moving it there.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Tarras

Post by Tarras »

No
No
Yes, it is the second key to the right of the space bar, I hadn't taken notice that it was there. While I am typing this I will be extra careful not to touch it.
I have just looked and there is one on the HP website. I have downloaded and installed it but the problem still exists, it happened twice while I was typing these last two sentences.
I will try a restart - done.
Menu choices:- Undo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Select All, Inspect Element. I typed all this line without an error until "Select All" when the second "l" was not printed and the menu popped up, the same occurred with the "l" of until and then again with the "m" of same and then with the "m"
Tarras - New Zealand
Tarras

Post by Tarras »

Could some kind administrator please move this post back to General forum where I originally posted it. I am sure that I would get more responses in that forum.

This is definitely a problem that only occurs for me when I am using Firefox. It occured seven times just typing this.
Tarras - New Zealand