can't get seamonkey to connect after installing ZoneAlarm 14

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LMHmedchem

can't get seamonkey to connect after installing ZoneAlarm 14

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

I just installed ZoneAlarm 14.3 since Comodo no longer supports the OS I am using on this machine. I have no problems connecting with firefox, but seamonkey cannot connect with either the browser or email.

I am getting an alert from ZoneAlarm that windows explorer cannot use windows explorer to connect to 208.67.222.222:53, which is the DNS server I am using. I have a rule that allows svchost to connect to DNS, but I don't remember explorer ever needing to connect to the DNS server. I don't allow explorer to ever make any external connections. It looks like seamonkey is using explorer to make DNS connections for some reason.

When I start seamonkey, I immediately get an alert that windows explorer cannot use windows explorer to connect to 127.0.0.1:2250. Does seamonkey need to make a connection to local host to function? Why would it task explorer to make this connection?

Like I said, I have never allowed explorer to make an external connection and have not had this issue before, so I am not sure what is going on.

Any suggestions?

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem

Re: can't get seamonkey to connect after installing ZoneAlar

Post by LMHmedchem »

This seems to have been fixed by setting windows explorer to be allowed to use other programs to access the internet and to allow program interaction. Apparently when I click the shortcut for seamonkey, windows explorer connects to the internet using seamonkey. I'm not sure why it has to work that way, meaning why seamonkey can't just make its own connection and why firefox doesn't have the same problem.

LMHmedchem
LMHmedchem

Post by LMHmedchem »

I put up a thread in seamonkey support because I am still having some issues with this and I think that is probably the better place for the topic.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »