Can't Install Themes In T'Bird 60

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tpaulr

Can't Install Themes In T'Bird 60

Post by tpaulr »

Is theme installation not allowed in T'Bird 60?

I dislike the default themes, would like to try something new. Everytime I try to install a new theme in T'Bird, it changes my Firefox theme, doesn't add anything to T'Bird.

I can't download any theme, there is no save button, just an add button.

Did I miss something? :?
WaltS48

Re: Can't Install Themes In T'Bird 60

Post by WaltS48 »

Did you try saving the theme's .xpi file to your Downloads folder, then in Thunderbird use the less than ideal case for installation?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... d-xpi-file
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

There isn't anyway to download and save an .xpi file on any of the themes I saw.

I turned off UBlock, my A/V, everything I can think of that might be preventing me from seeing the "save button", nothing there on my screen, just "install".

Changes my Firefox theme, but doesn't add the theme to Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no "save" button but have you tried right clicking on the link and selecting "Save Link As", which is what is suggested in the link posted by WaltS48?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
The link to the actual Theme may help....
&, as Dan posted....
The way to install any extension or theme in Thunderbird is to D/L the .xpi file first & then use Thunderbird to install it
using the Addons screen/option.
You have to right click the D/L button & Save link as....

ps. I just tried D/L'ing a full Theme, (Classic TB2) & it still works that way.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan & Limpet...

Yes, I always save and install from file in Thunderbird.

The few that I liked all downloaded as a Firefox HTM files.

Limpet, on complete themes, I can download, yes, the option is front and center.

Not necessarily looking for a complete theme, but it's an option I hadn't considered, not since the early days of Thunderbird.

As always, thank you all, greatly appreciated... :)

BTW, I like this new version of T'Bird, not so with FF...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How about a specific URL for the "theme" you were trying to install in Thunderbird?
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Dan, a couple things...

1. URL is https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... gold-iris/

2. I was able to install a complete theme, no problems whatsoever, same process as always, download the .xpi file, install it from T'Bird

Thanks... :)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I've had no problem installing themes (personas) with TB 60 but when I install a complete theme such as Monterail it doesn't change the icons in the folder pane, change the background color of the folder pane etc. - it looks exactly like the default theme. What complete theme did you install?

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... dl-created
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

Tanstaafl,

Phoenity Shredder is the complete theme I installed...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Thanks. That complete theme works on my copy of version 60. I was also able to use Novola. Metal Lion Sea Monkey works on most windows, but not the main window. When I tried to install classic tb2 Thunderbird claimed it was corrupt. The rest don't seem to support version 60.
tpaulr

Post by tpaulr »

T.,

You're welcome.
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

I have the complete themes for Thunderbird bookmarked. Lots of themes aren't compat with ver 60. Your Phoenity was just updated. Its funny, thats the one I'm currently using. The theme I kinda used for the last few years is called Tangobird and it hasn't been updated. Phoenity is good. I'll stick with it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I submitted https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1484393 (Need to install many complete themes using prior major version to get them to work in Thunderbird 60)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tanstaafl wrote:I submitted https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1484393 (Need to install many complete themes using prior major version to get them to work in Thunderbird 60)
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I know many people are still on T/Bird 60.

This bug has just hit SeaMonkey 2.53.1 and results in previously disabled themes and some extensions often not being fully enabled upon restart. To date, the workaround has been to keep re-installing the theme/extension and, eventually, it will work right.

However, you might like to know the real reason for this bug and a better workaround that is 100% successful every time.

in my view, at the time of Firefox 56/57 the Firefox devs were only thinking about start up times and Complete Themes and legacy extensions were the very last things on their minds...and yeah, in that start time race not purging startup cache right after FF57+ after themes and 'restart type' extensions are updated/re-enabled/uninstalled, etc. caused this bug. This is the bug that was ignored/not picked up by the T/Bird devs later on.

Workaround (Windows users) -

#1. Enable a disabled theme/extension, but don't restart.

#2. Instead, go to Help > Troubleshooting info > about:profiles > 'This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.' > Local Directory > Open Folder > startupCache and then close Thunderbird.

#3. In the startCache folder, delete or rename the startupCache.4.little file found there (it gets auto re-created later). Now restart Thunderbird and you're done and the theme/extension will be 100% working.

#4. A more permanent workaround is to do as above and then make 0 bytes file in your text editor (Programmer's Notepad) and save it to the startupCache with the name of startupCache.4.little. Right click this new file and select Read Only and then Apply/OK. Then restart Thunderbird.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)