can I safely relocate the firefox profile folder?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LMHmedchem

can I safely relocate the firefox profile folder?

Post by LMHmedchem »

Hello,

One reason I have always used seamonkey for my browser and email is that it is set up to allow profiles to be stored in a designated location instead of a default location in the OS install partition. Keeping my browser and email off of the OS drive protects me during the frequent reinstalls (restoration from an image) that have always gone along with windows.

I recently had to restore my OS drive image from a backup image and have lost many of my firefox settings. Firefox is not installed on the OS drive, so nothing about the installation has changed, but my profile is located at,

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

and the profile is, of course, reverted to its state when the image was taken. It's not the end of the world since I use firefox less than seamonkey, but it would be nice to not have to deal with this in the future.

Why does firefox not have a feature to allow users to store their profile where they want? Does this feature exist and I just don't know how to use it?

Can I just move the profile folder to another location and make a modification in profiles.ini?

From,

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/j1d089t7.default
To,

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=D:/firefox_profiles/j1d089t7.default
Would something like that work or would it be more involved? Is there a syntax for coding a non-relative path for the profile location?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem
Brummelchen

Re: can I safely relocate the firefox profile folder?

Post by Brummelchen »

isrelative must be 0 when absolute path.

Use -p when profile.ini is not needed, portable option, read docs pls
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ne_Options
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I have my profile in my C drive too, but it gets backed up every night, so if I have to do a reinstall, I just copy from the backup on my flash drive. You should be backing it up anyway.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
therube

Post by therube »

-p still relies on profiles.ini.
-profile does not.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey ... allow profiles to be stored in a designated location instead of a default location in the OS install partition
The same is true for FF (& I'd guess, any Mozilla browser).

profiles.ini will end up on your "system drive", but that is about all that "has" to be there.
Can I just move the profile folder to another location and make a modification in profiles.ini?
Yes.
Backup first (including profiles.ini). Offhand not sure how to properly "format" profile.ini, but experiment & see what you get.

I have something like this:

[Profile2]
Name=FF61
IsRelative=0
Path=V:\Mozilla\USERS\FF61
So change your IsRelative= & thinking that should be good.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Thx, my bad ](*,)