HOW TO IMPORT BOOKMARKS

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wwe

HOW TO IMPORT BOOKMARKS

Post by wwe »

How can I import my BOOKMARKS from my IMAC to my Mac Lap top?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: HOW TO IMPORT BOOKMARKS

Post by DanRaisch »

wwe

Post by wwe »

Thanks Dan. I think I kinda did that. I first (on my IMAC) I went to MANAGE BOOKMARKS and then EXPORT the html file. Then I e mailed this file to my own e mail. On my wife's Mac laptop in SM I went to MANAGE BOOKMARKS and clicked on IMPORT but nothing happened!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The menu path should be Manage Bookmarks->Tools->Import HTML->Select "File" in response to the prompt "Import Bookmarks from:"->click on "Next"->Navigate to the directory in which you saved the emailed HTML file->select the file->click on the "Open" button.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Yes Dan that's exactly what it shows. On the laptop under TOOLS I go to IMPORT HTML and it shows IMPORT SETTINGS AND DATA and I click FILE and CONTINUE. I then see the bookmarks.html file on the desktop although under it is says "ineligible", Any idea why it says "ineligible" as nothing happens?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try deleting that HTML file and again export from the other system. Perhaps the first file was corrupted for some reason.
wwe

Post by wwe »

OK I just did that Dan and on the laptop and now I see the new bookmarks.html there without the ineligible note. I then clicked OPEN but still nothing shows up. I must not be doing something obviously!
wwe

Post by wwe »

Maybe I've imported them and for some reason they are hidden? I go to BOOKMARKS on the laptop but nothing is there so I assume for ??? reason they are just not importing!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Try checking the size of that HTML file and/or opening the file with a text editor to see if the data is actually present.
wwe

Post by wwe »

Dan. Yes I checked and the data is in there!
frg

Post by frg »

Could you open the error console and look if an error is reported when you import the bookmarks.

Also could you open the html file in SeaMonkey with file -> open file and see if it displays correctly.

The bookmarks code in 2.49 has several known problems but so far I didn't think import and export was among them. Need to check. I ripped the backend more or less out in 2.53 for the next 2.57 release and replaced it with the firefox library.

FRG
therube

Post by therube »

I seem to recall a Mac user with an issue with bookmarks, & some sort of invalid entry or something or the other...

Here, Bookmarks mystery!.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wwe

Post by wwe »

frg wrote:Could you open the error console and look if an error is reported when you import the bookmarks.

Also could you open the html file in SeaMonkey with file -> open file and see if it displays correctly.

The bookmarks code in 2.49 has several known problems but so far I didn't think import and export was among them. Need to check. I ripped the backend more or less out in 2.53 for the next 2.57 release and replaced it with the firefox library.

FRG

Thanks. Where can I find the error console?

Also, how can I "open the html file in SeaMonkey with file -> open file "
wwe

Post by wwe »

Maybe this will help you figure out how I can solve my problem.

I thought I would open up some sites on the Mac laptop and save them but I just noticed that they are not saved! I go to either BOOKMARK THIS PAGE or FILE BOOKMARK and nothing is saved on the laptop.

Anyone know why?

Thanks
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile
Open SeaMonkey in that Profile (do not import or change anything)
See if you can save bookmarks
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript