The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Re: The future of Seamonkey?

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank, I'm still using ancient releases of Lotus Word Perfect, Lotus 123, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and probably some other ancient packages I can't think of right now.

So, albeit regrettably, I'll probably continue to use SM much as you describe...and reminisce about the good old day.

For what it's worth, I use both Text and HTML in Email, depending on the content being transmitted.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

Y'all are distressin' me immensely. I needs my Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey. I wouldn't know how to web without it. I ain't usin' the Evil G C-mess that they want to be the only browser worldwide. The creators ruined Opera. I haven't tried Vivaldi yet, who knows what that will be like. Never used FF since it's incomplete and a stripped down version of SM. IE and the various flavors of it pretending to be something else are still ... IE.

NS/MS/SM is the only browser I ever really trusted and felt comfortable with.

tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Wish You Were Here wrote:Y'all are distressin' me immensely. I needs my Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey. I wouldn't know how to web without it. I ain't usin' the Evil G C-mess that they want to be the only browser worldwide. The creators ruined Opera. I haven't tried Vivaldi yet, who knows what that will be like. Never used FF since it's incomplete and a stripped down version of SM. IE and the various flavors of it pretending to be something else are still ... IE.

NS/MS/SM is the only browser I ever really trusted and felt comfortable with.
You can still use SeaMonkey for some time; and while you can, prepare yourself for the Big Switch: switch over to Linux :P (which SeaMonkey also supports, for as long as it will hold) and, in prevision of the time where SeaMonkey won't be able to display the newest webpages, get familiar with Konqueror, where if you don't like the WebKit rendering engine used by G* Chr* you can still (for the time being, at least) use the (IMHO better) "KHTML (like Gecko)" engine, either occasionally, or even as your default.
Best regards,
Tony
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tonymec wrote:You can still use SeaMonkey for some time.
I reckon so.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I reviewed this thread and want to ask, "As a very basic SM user, is it advisable and safe for me to upgrade from 2.49.3 to 2.49.4?"

Thanks!
Last edited by Peter Creasey on August 16th, 2018, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

Surely not, but from 2.49.3 to 2.49.4 I suppose it is... :-)
LewS

Post by LewS »

Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

The point releases are security updates, so any
2.49.* updates would generally be a good idea.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LewS wrote:Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

+1
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

LewS wrote: assuming you meant 2.49.4.
Lew, yes, now corrected.

Thanks everyone.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Crogon

Post by Crogon »

LewS wrote:Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

Hey wait, won't 2.49.4 break FireFTP and various other awesome extensions that Firefox killed?

I switched from Firefox to PaleMoon due to the adware issues.
I switched from the PaleMoon ESR to SeaMonkey 2.49.3 for that specific issue, they essentially 'froze' 2.49.3 and broke the auto-update feature on purpose.

By the by.. I came here desperately searching for a solution to the broken Sync function.. but that's a story for another thread. ;)
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Currently using SeaMonkey 249.4 and loving it! :D
Quick question when is the newest version of SeaMonkey going to be coming out? 2.53 perhaps? :-k
Had to change the UA string so I could log into my Yahoo email accounts with the newest and updated version of Yahoo email.
Switching back to the classic Yahoo email was rather buggy!
Yahoo kept on saying for me to update my browser. IMHO it's Yahoo not being fair to SeaMonkey! [-X
Used this method which I found very helpful and that was posted here in some of the earlier threads.
Go to > about:config > then right click >
New > String > general.useragent.override.yahoo.com
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:63.0.3) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0.3

Thanks everyone for posting that method! :D
Haven't seen any response in this thread for a very long time and am wondering about the future of our beloved SeaMonkey browser. :)
frg

Post by frg »

Sorry not much new. Mozilla is still making Firefox great again and is now a single digit market share browser according to latest stats. ewong is still fighting with the infrastructure. I am trying to keep the source building and new patches in. I am behind on backporting sec patches. And 2.57 still has big holes in it. Would go faster without a daytime job but you have money to exist :) Now trying to get mail and news working again in 2.57 but it takes time.

Bills 2.49.5 and 2.53 should both be very stable. Websites start to reject older releases at random now. They usually don't need the new features so you can still make them compatible with providing a custom UA.

FRG
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

Last edited by Snake4 on August 25th, 2021, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

I'm using one of Bill's 2.53 builds(1) with no problems, and since it comes from before the Classical Extensions cutoff, stuff like Chatzilla or User Agent Switcher still work. I don't (yet) need the latter, but if someday a site tells me "You're using an obsolete version of Firefox", I will.

1) To get them, start at http://www.wg9s.com/ and navigate from there according to your OS and the desired version; I recommend 2.53 or earlier if you want classical extensions to work.
Best regards,
Tony