[solved]Visited links are sometimes shown as "not visited"

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
OldGrantonian

[solved]Visited links are sometimes shown as "not visited"

Post by OldGrantonian »

I'm doing an online course. Visited links are important, because they show which pages I have studied.

Issue: for the course site, visited links for a specific page show on some pages, but not others.

Example:

- I click a link on page 1 that displays page 5. The link on page 1 changes colour to "visited". That link is persistent, even after several days.

- When I visit page 3, there is also a link on that page that displays page 5. That link might or might not be shown as "visited". Assume that it's "not visited".

Confirmation:

- Return to page 1. Re-click the link that displays page 5.

- Return to page 3. Press Ctrl+F5 to refresh page in server. The link to page 5 remains "unvisited".

I would be grateful for any advice, or any other troubleshooting tips.

I would like to have some solid trubleshooting info to present to the owner of the course site.

Thanks.
Last edited by OldGrantonian on August 23rd, 2018, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkRH

Re: Visited links are sometimes shown as "not visited"

Post by MarkRH »

Depending on the CSS Styles used links can be the same color visited or not, or underlined or not. You have to go into Options -> Fonts & Colors -> Color Button and set to "Always" Override the page's colors with your selections to ignore a page's styling for links.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

MarkRH wrote:Depending on the CSS Styles used links can be the same color visited or not, or underlined or not. You have to go into Options -> Fonts & Colors -> Color Button and set to "Always" Override the page's colors with your selections to ignore a page's styling for links.
I'm not a techie, but as soon as I read your post, I thought that must be the answer. If the code behind the two pages is slightly different, it would explain why one page shows a link as visited, while the other page shows exactly the same link as not visited.

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn't work.

For the record, when I followed your instructions, I could see that the selected option was "Only with High Contrast themes"

I changed to "Always". Refreshed the server page where the link was "not visited". No effect.

As a side effect, the "Always" option converts this forum page (and other pages) to "wireframe".

I'm not sure if I should make a different post out of this question, but if you are knowledgeable about CSS and that stuff, is it possible for me to use maybe F12 to look at the link in each of the two pages to see if there's something different?

Thanks
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

I've just done a test which is the opposite to the test in my OP.

Page 1 and page 3 are the same pages as in my OP.

In my OP, I clicked a link in page 1, which did not show as "visited" in page 3 after doing a server refresh on page 3.

In my latest test, I clicked a link in page 3, which did not show as "visited" in page 1 after doing a server refresh on page 1.

So, my non-techie conclusion is:

If a link is clicked in page 1, it only shows as "visited" in page 1.

If a link is clicked in page 3, it only shows as "visited" in page 3.

The fly in the ointment here is my statement in my OP:
That link might or might not be shown as "visited"
In other words, SOME links can be clicked in page 1, and show in page 3, and vice versa. So, if there are errors in the code behind, the errors are not consistent.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

Here's some new info.

I talk about "page 1" and "page 3" in this thread, and refer to a link that points to the same target page. It just occurred to me that the "same target page" might actually contain identical text - but have 2 different addresses.

To test that, I simply hovered over the link on each page, and looked at the URL at lower left. These URLs were different. I verified that by taking screenshots of the URLs at lower left. Weird.

That test result probably closes this issue. I'll contact the owners and discuss.

Anyway, thanks to all responders.