bookmarks and logins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
weebit

bookmarks and logins

Post by weebit »

Today I created a new user profile on Firefox. It was very slow and I know it is my bookmarks doing this because I have a lot of bookmarks how many I am not sure but if you can scroll some minutes to get to the bottom, well.

I was wondering my option for fixing this? I do research so deleting them is not a option. I do have my bookmarks in categories. I can grab my none research categories if need be. I also want to copy my logins to the new user profile.

Can I do this?
DanRaisch

Re: bookmarks and logins

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm trying to understand you post. When you say
Today I created a new user profile on Firefox. It was very slow and I know it is my bookmarks
, do you mean that NEW profile was slow or that you created the new one because the old one was slow?
therube

Post by therube »

I created a new user profile on Firefox. It was very slow and I know it is my bookmarks
IF it was "new", then there would only be the default set of FF bookmarks.

I would think it not to be the number of bookmarks that is causing the issue.

As a test (& certainly backup first, or better make a copy of this "new" Profile & test in this newer "test" Profile), delete places.sqlite (from that test Profile's profile folder) & see if you are still "slow".

IOW, the only change is the removal of places.sqlite [your bookmarks, history, & whatever else].
If still "slow", then "bookmarks" (places.sqlite) is not the issue.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
weebit

Post by weebit »

My new user profile is very speedy My old profile is the issue
therube

Post by therube »

Well that was very clear.
(And I was even going to ask if it were Bookmarks Manager itself that was "slow'.)

Well then, go in the opposite direction.
Copy old places.sqlite into you new Profile, & confirm that the new Profile did not automatically become "slow".
(Do this with FF closed.)

Then it's only a matter of just what is your issue, & then what might be causing it in your old Profile, or how to go about transferring data from old to new (see KB).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
weebit

Post by weebit »

done and it didn't slow FF down. Even though that file is 15,490kb

I have to cook for the minions so hang in there about a hour from now.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

The minions should be cooking for you. That's what minions do. ;-)
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
weebit

Post by weebit »

Ok time out in kitchen and did test run everything is fine as long as I have bookmarks and logins.

One question though in the default folder I noticed two files one called key4.db and the other is key3.db. Does this mean some of my logins may be missing? Do I need to put both in or just the one? My new profile only has the key4.db in it.

Would you happen to know if I do the same thing for Thunderbird will this work for Thunderbird as well? I just need for Thunderbird to have logins but not download old emails.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, you are probably not missing any logins. Key3.db was the default file for older versions of Firefox but starting with version 58 (?) the file name is key4.db. But for that file to be helpful, you also need the file logins.json.

Depending on what version of Thunderbird you are running, the file key3.db may still be the correct default but logins.json would also be needed.
weebit

Post by weebit »

DanRaisch wrote:No, you are probably not missing any logins. Key3.db was the default file for older versions of Firefox but starting with version 58 (?) the file name is key4.db. But for that file to be helpful, you also need the file logins.json.

Depending on what version of Thunderbird you are running, the file key3.db may still be the correct default but logins.json would also be needed.
Everything is working fine. I run the latest FF. 61.0.2 (64-bit) Quantum

Thanks everyone for your time and support.