bookmarks toolbar

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
cxmacleod

bookmarks toolbar

Post by cxmacleod »

Is it possible to change an icon to a link that is on the bookmarks toolbar?
therube

Re: bookmarks toolbar

Post by therube »

Yes.

Now how to... ?

"Cleanly", I don't know.

In a hackish way, visit a site that has the "icon" you want, so if you want an 'M', this mite do.
Drag that link to your bookmarks toolbar.
With that, the toolbar shows an 'M'.
Now just change the Properties of that link to what you actually want.

So for Name: My home page
And for Location: about:home

Hmm... Actually that's not working in FF (52) as expected.
Pretty sure it does in SeaMonkey...

OK, I see what's happening.

If the "Location", has a favicon (is that the correct word?), then that is picked up, replacing the (in this case) 'M'.
Though if the "Location" is a place that does not have a favicon, like some javascript code, then the 'M' will persist.

(Seems there used to be something called, "bookmark favicon changer", but alas... webextensions & all that, so...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, if its a folder, I'd think my "hack" should work.
(And ask a mod to close your DUP thread.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

therube wrote:Yes.

Now how to... ?

"Cleanly", I don't know.

In a hackish way, visit a site that has the "icon" you want, so if you want an 'M', this mite do.
Drag that link to your bookmarks toolbar.
With that, the toolbar shows an 'M'.
Now just change the Properties of that link to what you actually want.

So for Name: My home page
And for Location: about:home

Hmm... Actually that's not working in FF (52) as expected.
Pretty sure it does in SeaMonkey...

OK, I see what's happening.

If the "Location", has a favicon (is that the correct word?), then that is picked up, replacing the (in this case) 'M'.
Though if the "Location" is a place that does not have a favicon, like some javascript code, then the 'M' will persist.

(Seems there used to be something called, "bookmark favicon changer", but alas... webextensions & all that, so...)
That didn't work (I knew it wouldn't).

When you click that link for the first time, the icon will change.
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

therube wrote:Oh, if its a folder, I'd think my "hack" should work.
Nope.

I'm thinking it may be possible with userchrome, but I question if I were to move the link into a folder, would the icon change?

As for what I ultimately want to do, I could do it pre-Quantum, but Quantum doesn't work well with local addresses.
morat

Post by morat »

A bookmark toolbar button element on the bookmarks toolbar has an image attribute.

AFAIK... It isn't possible to override the image attribute using the userChrome.css file.
therube

Post by therube »

When you click that link for the first time, the icon will change.
So it does.
I wasn't expecting that.
(Wonder if FF doesn't come with its own internal representation of "folder", & once it see the link to a folder, changes to that.)

(Well at least the hack will work for a javascript "Location:", not that it helps here.
javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Registry%20entry%20to%20find:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='es:'+(Qr);void(0))
cxmacleod

Post by cxmacleod »

therube wrote:
So it does.
I wasn't expecting that.
(Wonder if FF doesn't come with its own internal representation of "folder", & once it see the link to a folder, changes to that.)
I was referring to a link not a folder.

Before Quantum, I had an old version of NetScape. In NetScape, I could save a link with an icon I liked, edit the address with the actual link I wanted, export the bookmarks to HTML, and then import to Firefox. Then, the icon would stay as is. However, with Quantum, that stopped working. It seems to check every time to see if the website icon has changed.

From that other thread, I used some css to change the icon on my Popup Bookmark Folder. That stupid star wasn't descriptive enough.

Anyhow, I've been using another add-on from https://codefisher.org/

The great thing about it is you can make your own buttons. I've done about 10 on mine, but the only issue I have is you can't use local addresses, it only works with HTTP addresses. I'd like to find a way to get around this, and I've even contacted the guy who created the add-on, but he says he can't fix that issue.