s3.amazonaws.com

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gordhaddow

s3.amazonaws.com

Post by gordhaddow »

A coule of days ago I was FORCED to install this as an add-on to FireFox. Since then, there has been a very serious degradation in response time across the board. What the hell is going on?
DanRaisch

Re: s3.amazonaws.com

Post by DanRaisch »

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

AdwCleaner first, then Malwarebytes Antimalware (Free)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downlo ... er/dl/125/
https://ww.malwarebytes.com/
gordhaddow

Post by gordhaddow »

It came up as a FireFox Update which could not be disregarded.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

gordhaddow wrote:It came up as a FireFox Update which could not be disregarded.
No such thing. You have malware!

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
James

Post by James »

gordhaddow wrote:It came up as a FireFox Update which could not be disregarded.
So you got a ransom site with a claim of "Important Firefox update available" or a blue page with "Firefox requires a manual update" or some wording like that.

Those sites are FAKE. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/i- ... fox-update

Firefox updates are only ever done internally in Firefox (with a .mar file) or by download from http://www.mozilla.org or http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ and never from some ransom website that claims to have a Firefox update by way of a extension.

addons.mozilla.org/blocked/ has listings that links to bugs that has a long list of these Fake extensions that the scam sites tries to trick people into installing as a so called Firefox update.

If you cannot get into your Addons Manager then that is a sure sign you have installed one of these bad extensions. Another thing these bad extensions can do is hijack the search engine and or homepage. One way to get rid of it is to start Firefox in -safe-mode and then you can uninstall the bad Extension in Addons manager.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
gordhaddow

Post by gordhaddow »

I have not visited any site that I have not been to many times before. The "FireFox Update Required" came up as a pop-up with the logo, and there was no way of exiting. After the "Update", an additional tab opened headed "Web TV".
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Malware is generally bundled with software one downloads and generally doesn't come from visiting a web site.. I would do as Brummelchen suggested. Also did you read this
This S3.amazonaws.com redirect is usually caused by adware installed on your computer. These adware programs are bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.
from the link DanRaisch posted?

You have malware and need to get rid of it.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
James

Post by James »

gordhaddow wrote:I have not visited any site that I have not been to many times before. The "FireFox Update Required" came up as a pop-up with the logo, and there was no way of exiting. After the "Update", an additional tab opened headed "Web TV".
So basically a tab opened to a Fake Firefox update page due a malvertising Ad. You should be able to close the tab and if not then the ESC key before closing may help.

This was not a popup from Mozilla or the Firefox web browser.

But since you installed this fake extension you should try and remove it. Starting Firefox in safe-mode as I mention previously should allow you to uninstall it.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

I'll never understand people coming here for help then arguing with the advice they're given without even trying it to see if it works.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

credits go to Dan, not me, thx ;)
therube

Post by therube »

(I will note that Mozilla does install - without your knowledge [necessarily] nefarious "crap" - studies & such.)
Last edited by therube on September 4th, 2018, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But not the kind of malware the OP is reporting on.
therube

Post by therube »

Doing something like that & not asking for consent first is malicious.

addons.mozilla.org/blocked/ has listings that links to bugs that has a long list of these Fake extensions that the scam sites tries to trick people into installing as a so called Firefox update.
Might also be stated that Mozilla now hosts such extensions & facilitates their existence.
And even if said extension is not hosted on AMO, i.e. on some foreign site, they still facilitate their existence.
(Not by desire, but that is the way things are presently.)
Last edited by therube on September 4th, 2018, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

In that case you might as well say that all browser providers facilitate ALL of the malicious content on the web. Let's stick to the real issues and put away our tin foil hats for now.