Google Search Window in SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

Google Search Window in SeaMonkey

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
This is very strange. Starting today, my Google Search window is acting weird in SeaMonkey.

1) Normally the cursor sits in the center of the Google window for me to enter a search request. Now it's sitting up at the top of the window, over the top line of the box.
2) When I click to start typing in the window, all sorts of past searches are coming up even before I entered a letter in the box.
3) Once I type a letter in the box, all sorts of past searches starting with that letter come up as well as things I've never searched for before but happen to start with that letter. I'm used to seeing a few matches but not like this and especially ones pop that I've never even searched before which is weird.
4) When the search items pop up, many have "remove" after them which I've never seen. The ones I've never searched on before don't have that.
5) The font also seems smaller

I haven't changed anything but I did look for Windows 10 updates and all I found was a definition update on Win Defender which appears to happen daily.

When I pull up the Google search page in Chrome, it's normal. I haven't updated Chrome either.

So, I'm wondering if something happened that changed how Google works with SM. I'm using 2.49.3 in SM. I rebooted but it's still screwed up. Maybe some kind of conflict? I was going to post a couple of pictures to show what I'm talking about but I don't now how to insert them here.

Debbie
amrad

Re: Google Search Window in SeaMonkey

Post by amrad »

Hello Debbie,

See this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum

Regards,

Dave.
JohnB_XP

Post by JohnB_XP »

Here's a screenshot.
Proud BlackBerry and SeaMonkey user!
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

See the cursor position in the search box.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

See the search names that pop up when I enter the first letter, note that those without "Remove" are ones I've never searched. Sorry it's blurry. I can redo it if you need me to.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

I found this article about Google making some search engine changes. I wonder if this could be the problem? The URL at the bottom is the link to the article:

"Google has added a new feature to its search engine which aims to provide you with more relevant information to give you multiple aspects of a topic with a single search."

"The change will only be visible through the new panels which will be automatically generated based on the understanding (read machine learning) of the topics from content on the web. So for instance, if you are searching for quartz vs granite for your kitchen top, you will see a panel with relevant subtopics such as the difference in cost, recommended size, benefits, durability, and so on."

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma ... 441115.cms
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Yep, it looks like Google made some changes that took effect yesterday (8-31-18). Here are 2 quotes from another forum:

"I've been using https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 to prevent the incredibly insulting and obnoxious dropdown list of "helpful" "suggestions" from stinking up my screen, but as of 8/31/18 that no longer works."

"The complete=0 parameter was left over from a time when Google had a setting allowing autocomplete predictions to be turned off. When that feature was withdrawn, the parameter was widely touted by users as a way to suppress autocomplete predictions, although it has never been acknowledged by Google. Until recently it continued to work on the Google Search homepage, although not on the results page. It looks like Google has finally killed it off.

I suggest you try DuckDuckGo search, which currently has a setting to switch off "Auto-suggest"."
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript