FF Stalls on Many Sites

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zlaer

FF Stalls on Many Sites

Post by zlaer »

I got 2 questions......

1) FF stalls in many sites. What can I do to make it load pages normally?

2) I got the latest ff. Is it normal for ff to use 1GB of ram? If not what can I do for it to use less resources?
DanRaisch

Re: FF Stalls on Many Sites

Post by DanRaisch »

1. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

2. That very much depends on what sites are displayed in Firefox but 1GB is not exceptional if multiple tabs and windows are involved.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:1. Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
I found that one of the addons is causing this issue which is, Dark Reader. I really dont know why its causing pages to stall. Do you know a solution to this while still using this addon?

Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

any heavy change of web site style with an extension - this include extensions like "dark reader" and also stylish/stylus is causing impacts, more or less.

what i can tell you about dark reader that it only contains scripts and some calculations, but it loads configs from github and maybe some pictures. if there is stall then web page also stalls.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

Brummelchen wrote:any heavy change of web site style with an extension - this include extensions like "dark reader" and also stylish/stylus is causing impacts, more or less.

what i can tell you about dark reader that it only contains scripts and some calculations, but it loads configs from github and maybe some pictures. if there is stall then web page also stalls.
Actually I turned off all my addons and ff still stalls. It stalls on newly created profile too. What do you suggest?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

How much memory on your system?
Are you running any clean up utilities like Ccleaner?
What security software are your running on that computer?
Are you running through a VPN?
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

DanRaisch wrote:How much memory on your system?
Are you running any clean up utilities like Ccleaner?
What security software are your running on that computer?
Are you running through a VPN?
Hey dude...

I got 16GB ram
Not running any clean up utilities
Running Win Defender
No VPN installed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Any reason for you to not be using the current release version of Firefox, which is 61.0.2? You're already into Quantum versions so running an old version isn't helping with legacy extensions or the like.
When you created the new profile, were you testing it without having installed any extensions or changing any default values?
What about a specific URL where you see the stalling?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

As Dan states, many of your problems with Firefox may be solved by running the current updated version. Never use an outdated version of Firefox.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

zlaer, in addition to DanRaisch's directions since you're not running CCleaner, I suggest that you install and use it. It could be that you have so much junk accumulated on your PC that it could be contributing to the stalling issue.

Just make sure that you disable all of the cleaning attributed to FF as it could break something in FF, and Save whenever if gives the option as a precaution in case something doesn't operate properly after the cleaning.

If you need directions on how to use it, just let me know.

Also, what are your FF settings for your History, Cookies etc? That could also be playing a part in causing issues with stalling.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Wiggam72 wrote:since you're not running CCleaner, I suggest that you install and use it.
Terrible idea.

CCleaner is known to cause issues with Firefox.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

This would be helpful
DanRaisch wrote:What about a specific URL where you see the stalling?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Oprah.com ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Went to the Oprah site. Other than the videos taking about 2 to 3 seconds to load, everything else responded immediately.
RobertJ wrote:
Wiggam72 wrote:since you're not running CCleaner, I suggest that you install and use it.
Terrible idea.

CCleaner is known to cause issues with Firefox.

RobertJ, obviously you missed what I said shortly after that. I stated the following:
Wiggam72 wrote:zlaer,...Just make sure that you disable all of the cleaning attributed to FF as it could break something in FF, and Save whenever if gives the option as a precaution in case something doesn't operate properly after the cleaning.

If you need directions on how to use it, just let me know.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

As one of our prolific contributors patrickjdempsey from Asheville NC said on many occasions,
CCleaner is crapware!
Can't argue with that.