Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
cpcnw

Re: Use Seamonkey mail, but make default browser NOT Seamonk

Post by cpcnw »

As an aside the mail client is great and handling 2GB of IMAP threads for me. I much prefer it over TB :)

Maybe there's an opportunity here but would love to see it [the mail client] developed as a separate app.

I can't be the only one who has found it to be the best traditional client out there.
Sometimes in life things happen for a reason. And sometimes that reason is because you are stupid and make bad decisions!
therube

Post by therube »

So now you need to figure out what extension or setting you have that is affecting what you are seeing.
@jeff, why not take a gander at gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled?
Restart in Safe Mode (mentioned 3 days ago) & see how news.google.com displays.
Oh, it still does it you say. (No, you didn't.)
If still wrong, as a test, create a new, clean Profile & see what that does.
Oh, it works! it works! you say. (No, you didn't.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:I also have a lot of trouble filling in forms at merchant sites, etc.
With Google stuff, we just work around the fact that they are actively coding their sites these days to make life difficult with others browsers and use techniques to access their stuff anyway.

Merchant sites are different and their 'Old Browser Alert!' stuff is actually their sites not 'sniffing' supported browsers properly.

Pretty easy to fix, as detailed below, just don't be tempted to use a global override, instead of site specific, as that will come back to bite you.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14756885

In practice, just 4 UA overrides has sorted the entire Internet for me, so it's not like it takes long to do.

cpcnw wrote:Maybe there's an opportunity here but would love to see it [the mail client] developed as a separate app.

I can't be the only one who has found it to be the best traditional client out there.
No, there must be at least 10 other people across the entire world.

As there is no memory penalty, that means there is also no point. The existing SM suite can already be changed in seconds to show the browser as rarely as most people already see the Composer side or Address Book, i.e. not at all. In a world of problems, this is a non-problem.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14801505
Last edited by Frank Lion on June 5th, 2018, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

cpcnv - use the "Standalone Mail Extension" mentioned on the first page of this thread - works great!
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

therube wrote:Options | Embeddings -> Forbid @font-face (uncheck)
Thank you for this therube! =D>
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Frank Lion wrote:
jeffw_00 wrote:Ok - this is what google news looks like to me

http://imgbox.com/NuRQGXWP
Had a quick look at this - that is caused by a recent page redesign. I've had a 5 minute look at the page coding, and yeah, that code is going to produce various bizarre results on non-Google browsers.

Until, as always, they redesign the page yet again and finally fix it properly then use this page and bookmark the link (NOTE: - do NOT just click the link below, as you need to include that % at the end! Just copy and paste the whole thing below.)

https://news.google.com/news/feeds?output=rss&q=%
Thank you for this info Frank! =D>
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

Frank Lion wrote:
cpcnw wrote:Maybe there's an opportunity here but would love to see it [the mail client] developed as a separate app.

No, there must be at least 10 other people across the entire world.
Make that 11 ! :D
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

12 ;-) (or add a SM option so that clicking on links, OR the bottom left icon, gives you the system browser)

ALTHOUGH - Chrome lacks many useful add-ons made for FF/SM :-(
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

Ok - looks like my original problem is specific to the profile. But If I switch to a new profile - how do I take all my Email settings, Identities (over a dozen), Bookmarks, etc, with me? Not looking forward to inputting everything manually.

Thanks
/j
therube

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

That's quite a meandering thread, but I didn't see an answer to my question. Seems like something related to the browser is corrupted, that's ok, I'm happy to reset my browser settings (how do I do that?) but if I just copy the profile won't the corruption follow me?
therube

Post by therube »

So what's the question (now) & has (I think it was) Issac's extension been mentioned (before)?

Have you checked the KB for "transferring", "moving" ?

A start, http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey.
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

IIt appears the browser settings in my profile are corrupted how do I reset them?
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Wish You Were Here wrote:I'm personally inclined to abandon sites that aren't designed properly however.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Problem is that list would probably comprise 90% of the sites out there in one form or another starting with the lamos that write for Chrome-Dome! :evil:
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!