Broken Nighly on Linux from 30.08.2018 (need testing)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Romani

Broken Nighly on Linux from 30.08.2018 (need testing)

Post by Romani »

So, i bumped in some kind of bug which plagues poor Linux users regularly - set layers.acceleration.force-enabled and layers.force-active to true, restart Firefox, try to switch user (not logout), get back and see that Firefox hang completely. Its started for me from 30.08.2018 build and still present. Its looks like disabling layers.force-active solves problem partially.

On latest Nightly, however, i see another thing - with layers.acceleration.force-enabled enabled and layers.force-active disabled switch users, come back (see that browser didnt hang), now click in (!) button next to location bar and...Firefox hangs again.

I have this problem on Xubuntu 17.10 64 bit, Nvidia 384.130, anyone else?
johnp_

Re: Broken Nighly on Linux from 30.08.2018 (need testing)

Post by johnp_ »

Why do you set `layers.force-active`? It seems to be meant for debugging. I can't help with the other hang :/
Romani

Post by Romani »

johnp_ wrote:Why do you set `layers.force-active`? It seems to be meant for debugging. I can't help with the other hang :/
To tell truth - dunno why. It was kinda long time ago.
Anyway, did you got any hangs if you tested? I didnt tested very much second scenario yet.
johnp_

Post by johnp_ »

No hangs here on lock/user switch, but I'm on a completely different system (Plasma 5.13 / Fedora 28 / Intel iGPU / WebRender).
Romani

Post by Romani »

johnp_ wrote:No hangs here on lock/user switch, but I'm on a completely different system (Plasma 5.13 / Fedora 28 / Intel iGPU / WebRender).
No wonder, i have feeling its related to Nvidia and this bug - #1484782 [Core:Graphics: WebRender]-Bug 1469496 fix for NVIDIA graphics corruption after suspend doesn't seem to work on Linux with driver 390.77 [Lin][] which was fixed exactly at time problems started.
johnp_

Post by johnp_ »

Any specific reason you're running 384 and not 390? Could be that this was only tested on a recent driver. In any case, I'd recommend opening a new bug blocking the one you linked with your STR. Do you have WebRender enabled as well? In that case it really looks like something in the context purge handler is causing issues. Given that the reporter of the bug you gave mentioned that the context loss event was automatically generated previously (<390) but not with the current driver, explicitly asking for the context-loss event on the older driver now may cause it to send the context-loss twice in short succession (driver bug?) and FF may not handle that gracefully, though I have to admit that I'm wildly speculating here.
Romani

Post by Romani »

johnp_ wrote:Any specific reason you're running 384 and not 390? Could be that this was only tested on a recent driver. In any case, I'd recommend opening a new bug blocking the one you linked with your STR. Do you have WebRender enabled as well? In that case it really looks like something in the context purge handler is causing issues. Given that the reporter of the bug you gave mentioned that the context loss event was automatically generated previously (<390) but not with the current driver, explicitly asking for the context-loss event on the older driver now may cause it to send the context-loss twice in short succession (driver bug?) and FF may not handle that gracefully, though I have to admit that I'm wildly speculating here.
Well, yes, there is reason - 390 series is absolutely broken for me, like switching to second user turns screen resolution to 640x480 for unknown reason, seems like a driver bug, but even on 396 i have same problem. This is why i still on 17.10 (no way to install 384 from repos here), btw.
Webrender? No, i dont use it.
johnp_

Post by johnp_ »

Well that is *very* weird, since in that case none of the context-loss code should actually run, it only tells the driver to generate the reset event on memory purge, which it already did in <390 by default, so nothing should change...
Anyway, I'd recommend opening a bug report with the information from the OP. Since older/LTS distributions ship with older drivers it should be investigated.