Avast Passwords and Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MKD

Avast Passwords and Firefox

Post by MKD »

Hi guys

Avast Passwords moved all my passwords from Firefox (version 61). I didn't knew that the app will MOVE the passwords from Firefox. Avast Passwords is not usable for me (wrongfully putting different usernames and passwords) and I wanted to move the passwords back to Firefox. It seems that Avast Passwords is not able to move the passwords back to Firefox. They suggest to move the passwords to Google Chrome and then import them from Google Chrome to Firefox. This process only imports the passwords that were already stored into Chrome.

Any idea guys? I have tried with using older version (56) into virtual machine and importing those passwords but with no positive result. I have tried editing key4.db file but it's not working. I have tried with corrupting the logins.json file and restoring from some automatic backup from the Firefox app, but it only restored some passwords that are at least 4 years old.

Thanks.
therube

Re: Avast Passwords and Firefox

Post by therube »

(Have backups?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MKD

Post by MKD »

Very smart answer therube, thank you.

As I've wrote, Firefox latest automatic backup was 4 years old. So, that's Firefox fault.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I don't use Avast' , so called "Password feature" to save passwords.
For goodness sake.....It's an Anti-virus program & that's all it should do.
They built too much into it & it causes a heap of trouble.
The only thing/s I can suggest, is that you ask on their forum.
ref; > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

&....Do NOT use AVAST to "save your passwords."
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
therube

Post by therube »

FF does not make automatic backups.
Importing passwords does not automatically delete them from your internet browsers. When the import is complete, we recommend you manually delete any saved passwords from your browsers. For more details, refer to your internet browser's documentation.
Sounds to me that if you did not delete the passwords from your browser, they (existing ones, at the time, I presume ?) should still be there. Theoretically.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MKD

Post by MKD »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
I don't use Avast' , so called "Password feature" to save passwords.
For goodness sake.....It's an Anti-virus program & that's all it should do.
They built too much into it & it causes a heap of trouble.
The only thing/s I can suggest, is that you ask on their forum.
ref; > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

&....Do NOT use AVAST to "save your passwords."

I agree that Avast (and other companies) includes too many "features" into their product(s). I've contacted Avast but they referred me to their website support page, which wasn't helpfull.
therube wrote:FF does not make automatic backups.
Importing passwords does not automatically delete them from your internet browsers. When the import is complete, we recommend you manually delete any saved passwords from your browsers. For more details, refer to your internet browser's documentation.
Sounds to me that if you did not delete the passwords from your browser, they (existing ones, at the time, I presume ?) should still be there. Theoretically.
The problem was that Avast Passwords deleted my passwords from Firefox. I didn't deleted them myself. There wasn't even a pop-up window asking me if I want to delete them :-(
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The sub forum for Avast Passwords is https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=86.0. Someone there should be able to help you.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein