Can't open Safelinks from Outlook in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
infinitespace

Can't open Safelinks from Outlook in Firefox

Post by infinitespace »

When I click a link from an Outlook email, Firefox opens a tab for the link but just shows a blank page. Closer inspection shows that links from Outlook emails are now in the format https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com... or similar, followed by the URL. Unfortunately I can't just copy the URL part out as some characters have been replaced with strings like %3A, etc. Tried in Safe Mode but no change. I'm aware that this new link format is part of Microsoft's Office ATP, so it's their doing, but just wondering if there is a fix or way to resolve.

Many thanks in advance for any response.
therube

Re: Can't open Safelinks from Outlook in Firefox

Post by therube »

What you have posted above, don't know if that is a direct copy or not, but as it shows here, is not valid (two .. after the .com).

One dot, perhaps, could or potentially should (not sure) be valid.

No dots (following the .com) is valid, at least it then loads an outlook.com web page (for better or worse).

followed by the URL
Can you post an actual full "safe link" URL, like perhaps one that goes to www.google.com.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
infinitespace

Post by infinitespace »

Thank you for the reply. The URL I provided was an example of the prefix that Microsoft is adding to URLs in Outlook emails. I can only provide examples that I receive, so no google.com, but here's an example of a URL I received in an Outlook email:

https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

Opening this URL results in a blank tab in Firefox; the webpage never loads.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Nope. Opens to FutureLearn Free Online Courses here.
infinitespace

Post by infinitespace »

Ok, it must be something in my Firefox configuration then. I'm not sure what though! I've tried both Safe Mode, and a different profile, but with the same result.
therube

Post by therube »

Aside from the fact that you have an issue on your end, the bookmarklet, remove redirects, will clean up your URL.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I saw a report of this on Mozilla Support that I wasn't able to solve. That user had discovered a workaround:

* right-click the link and Copy Link Location
* Ctrl+t to launch a new tab
* Ctrl+v to paste the link and then press Enter

Does that work for you? It only deepens the mystery...
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

DanRaisch wrote:
Nope. Opens to FutureLearn Free Online Courses here.
Wow, how? I get the same thing as the OP. I tried the workaround that jscher2000 suggested, but it didn't work. Do you think if the OP used Thunderbird that it would do the same thing? I've never had that type of problem using Thunderbird.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

The OP said that Outlook generated the links. From what the OP posted, my understanding is that Outlook's link format somehow doesn't jive with FF.
infinitespace wrote:When I click a link from an Outlook email, Firefox opens a tab for the link but just shows a blank page. Closer inspection shows that links from Outlook emails are now in the format https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com... or similar, followed by the URL. Unfortunately I can't just copy the URL part out as some characters have been replaced with strings like %3A, etc. Tried in Safe Mode but no change. I'm aware that this new link format is part of Microsoft's Office ATP, so it's their doing, but just wondering if there is a fix or way to resolve.

Many thanks in advance for any response.
infinitespace

Post by infinitespace »

Thank you for all the above posts. Unfortunately the bookmarklet did not work for me, and right-clicking the link and selecting Copy Link Location had the same outcome as clicking the link normally.

The best workaround I have found is to right-click the link in Outlook and select "Copy Hyperlink", and then go to http://www.o365atp.com and paste the link in the "Paste SafeLinks URL" box. The page will give you the original link in the "Decoded URL" box, and you can copy it from there and open it as usual.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

my redirect remover shows me (which is same as o365atp.com)
http://mail.futurelearn.com/re?l=D0Iarrnn1I3a9nrj5I0

but the orginal link up there goes same page.
using this link in my mailer and pushing towards v62 works fine, result ok.

we need the about:support data
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Brummelchen wrote:my redirect remover shows me (which is same as o365atp.com
Thanks! Because of that post, I went to add-ons and searched for redirect remover. I selected the add-on Remove Redirect and installed it.

I then clicked on the link that wouldn't work for the OP (and me) and it worked! I then disabled Remove Redirect but it still worked. I refreshed this page and then it didn't work (it shouldn't because I disabled Remove Redirect) then re-enabled Remove Redirect, refreshed the page, and it worked again.

I went to the add-on site to make sure that it's normal behavior and it stated that "For changed settings to apply, the page must be reloaded."

So, the conclusion is that the OP should use Remove Redirect, or another like program if a better one can be found.

Brummelchen, is Remove Redirect the add-on you're using?
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i use a personal remake from opera store when firefox was official at v55 (i dropped v55/56 and started very eqaryl with v57/quantum - at this time usable and decent webextension were rare.).
for firefox only legacy
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... tbypasser/

but now i see that someone moved it as webextension officially
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... extension/

i use it in chromium and i consider it as the best redirect remover. i use it beside undirect (chromium) and "Remove Google Redirect in Google Results" since ages.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

For now, I've decided to use Remove Redirect. The reason is because it is more user-friendly to me than Redirect Bypasser. Also, Remove Redirect has a really convenient toolbar disable/enable button so I don't have to go into add-ons to disable or enable it.

Currently I have it disabled because I ran into a few pages that won't work unless it's disabled. I checked those pages using Redirect Bypasser and it does the same thing.

So, until I get time to check out other add-ons or find some other method, I'll be using Remove Redirect disabled. BTW, Avast flags it from time to time (I only had Redirect Bypasser installed for about half an hour so there was no chance for it to get flagged). Curiously, it also flags DuckDuckGo, so that makes me skeptical about it being a threat especially since it isn't enabled.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search