Ver. 62.0 Bookmarks Description Window

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bhdavis

Ver. 62.0 Bookmarks Description Window

Post by bhdavis »

It seems that Mozilla has gotten rid of the DESCRIPTION window when you right click on a bookmark's properties. This was done in July for the Mac version of Firefox and with Ver. 62.0 for Windows.

No warning was given and there are a lot of complaints on the Mac version forum about this change. Again with Windows there was no warning that this MAJOR change was going to take place.

Like MANY other people I use the DESCRIPTION window to store extensive information about a given webpage. You can imagine my shock this morning when I went to retrieve some info and the window was gone. A little digging online found the complaint thread on the Mac change.

I have no idea why this was done. If it was for some security reason then it is understandable........the change that is, not t he way it was handled.

There are solutions given on the Mac thread on how to use another companies add-on to show the past saved descriptions. They are still in the Mozilla data files but are not shown in Ver. 62. You can also do an EXPORT to a .html file and then open the descriptions in the browser. Or you can reinstall Ver. 61.x from the archives and set it to NOT check for updates. This is what I did for the moment.

PLEASE bring back the DESCRIPTION window in bookmark properties. This is absolutely nuts to have to experience what I went through this morning sorting this all out.

BH Davis
jbourvic

Re: Ver. 62.0 Bookmarks Description Window

Post by jbourvic »

I agree. This was a very useful field where I had put pertinent information about each bookmark. Is there an add on for windows? I have a sneaky suspicion that Mozilla doesn't care about what we feel is important.
pleasejust

Post by pleasejust »

Sometimes I feel like Mozilla Corporation needs to disband and leave Firefox up to "the community". It would make much faster progress this way. The Corporation does too many things in it's own interest instead of the users'.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

pleasejust wrote:Sometimes I feel like Mozilla Corporation needs to disband and leave Firefox up to "the community". It would make much faster progress this way. The Corporation does too many things in it's own interest instead of the users'.
And how is the "community" going to pay the for operation of Firefox, like web hosting and the inevitable bug fixes?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

pleasejust wrote:Sometimes I feel like Mozilla Corporation needs to disband and leave Firefox up to "the community". It would make much faster progress this way.
If you mean, nothing would change so long time users would be less annoyed, I agree. If you mean that millions of people would be able to reach consensus on what Firefox would be, I don't think so.

Anyway, Mozilla's software is in support of the mission; that's the point. https://www.mozilla.org/about/manifesto/
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jbourvic wrote:Is there an add on for windows?
Extensions cannot access the descriptions in the bookmarks system; they are not one of the fields extensions can access. (By extensions, I mean the WebExtensions that run in Firefox 57+; Legacy extensions could do whatever they wanted.)

There are lots of options for managing notes about websites outside of the bookmarks system.
boersenfeger

Post by boersenfeger »

Translated with Deepl:
The field for bookmark descriptions in the library has been removed. This feature has only been used by a fraction of users in the past, but has had a negative performance impact on all users.
Users who have used this feature can still save the descriptions by exporting the bookmarks as HTML or JSON. In Firefox 62, only the visible edit field has been removed to give users an opportunity to save. The descriptions themselves will then be deleted with one of the upcoming updates.

Original (German) was here:
https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefo ... euerungen/

I wonder a little why people get so excited right now because Mozilla already announced this change in July 2018.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/27/mozil ... criptions/
Greetz
Bo
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20190219 Firefox/67a1
Visit the German Firefox-Forum wwx. camp-firefox.de/forum
BretMan

Post by BretMan »

I had the same issue and fixed it. See: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041537
therube

Post by therube »

fixed it
How?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

therube wrote:
fixed it
How?
Confused about the version he used to "fix it" or under an illusion. The mention of MozBackup told it all.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
boersenfeger

Post by boersenfeger »

:mrgreen: =D>
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0.1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20190219 Firefox/67a1
Visit the German Firefox-Forum wwx. camp-firefox.de/forum
bhdavis

Post by bhdavis »

The BEST FIX BY FAR is to download Mozilla 60.2esr. This has maintained the DESCRIPTION window as before.

However who knows how long they'll leave this alone.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

BH
BretMan

Post by BretMan »

the - edmeister - You're correct. Yes, v62 is the version with the issue about not having the bookmark description window anymore. v61.0.2 is the version (last one) which does include the description window and which I reverted FF to. I didn't need to perform a MozBackup restore, I just re-installed v61.0.2

My mistake - sorry about that.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Is that how you fixed your issue?
bhdavis

Post by bhdavis »

Not sure who you are asking here. Personally first I I did an HTML backup, then downloaded FF 61.x for a quick fix. Then I checked out and installed Zotero so I could see what that looked like.

Then I learned about Firefox 60.2 ESR and downloaded that commercial version. That is what I stayed with. I uninstalled Zotero but left the ADD-ON in Firefox so as a reminder should they remove the description window from 60.2 ESR. I also copy/pasted the HTML backup into a Word.doc so I'd have a safety net.

BH