FF 62 revert to FF 61 now cannot turn off auto update

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
jbourvic

FF 62 revert to FF 61 now cannot turn off auto update

Post by jbourvic »

Discovered that Mozilla totally removed the Description ox when Properties is selected from a Bookmark page. So after reading some details on another thread, I reloaded FF version 61. This will give me the Description box back.

But in Options, the selection to determine your UPDATE options (Automatic, You Determine, Never) is greyed out and the Auto is permanently selected. I do not want to have it update to 62 and go all through this crap again. Anyone know of a way to set that to never?
mightyglydd

Re: FF 62 revert to FF 61 now cannot turn off auto update

Post by mightyglydd »

Nah, the Never Option appears up to the latest release, Fx62, nothing is grayed out.
It's no longer there in 63b4. Check for Updates/Choose has become default here.
Try Safe Mode, if that doesn't doesn't work a New test Profile.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

IMO this option has been greyed out/disabled earlier than b4. yes, mozilla noticed, that some users disabled updates by purpose which ist not recommended. nevertheless they will inform about updates and let user chose when they were installed. but be aware - there exist NO longer a pref in about:config to override - that option was deleted!

using old versions? vulnerable!? this is no matter to step back, no clever action. if you decide your way help will possible stay out.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Did it occur to you that any user, bright enough to find and disable updates, might be bright enough to determine when THEY want to update?
It's got to the point that when MozCo 'recommends' something, do the opposite.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

history told us that if something bad is possible mankind will do it - same for mozilla updates. you only have to remember how many people come here with ancient builds or build 55/56 and dropped any interest to update because of convenience!?

i need to check this "issue" out with a fresh profile because my current from v61 offers me "dont search for updates"...

yes, still available in v62/clean profile. so if greyed ot it was set by purpose or from extern eg with userchrome.js.

running 63b4 dont show me such option, but this was removed somewhere before in nightly.

btw, to confirm what you stated up there. thx
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

'Version 63.0beta, first offered to Beta channel users on September 5, 2018'

jbourvic

Post by jbourvic »

Thanks for the replies. Personally, I wouldn't mind updating to FF 62, but they deleted the description box within the Properties part of a bookmark - without any warning. I have a lot of web page details in there that I cannot afford to just lose. Mozilla did us a disservice. I would happily jump to 62.x if it restored the description box. Or if there was a third party add on for windows (like there is for MAC users). But until then, I will use 61 without updating.

And for the pure techie - every browser, every software has vulnerabilities; they have just not been found yet.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Can't help but :roll: and :)

Does anyone recall the amount of derision heaped on Google when Chrome came out with no option to disable updates.

Heck I use the Portable to avoid that.
I wonder if one has 'Check for/Choose' enabled, and declines, how many annoying Update NOW popups can we expect?
Last edited by mightyglydd on September 8th, 2018, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

or go 60 ESR... so many options to chose...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Is app.update.enabled still available in about:config in the Fx 63beta?

I have been using that pref in my user.js file for years now, along with nulling out the value for app.update.url also. Saves me time and some head scratching moments when I create a new Profile. And I do some overkill, too, by deleting the two maintenance-service. exe files when I install a new version. A raincoat AND galoshes to keep Mozilla from "raining on my parade with a yellow stream".
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

you can add it but its no longer used

i only can offer infos in german
https://www.soeren-hentzschel.at/firefo ... et-werden/

he describes it for a generated "policies.json" which has to be placed somewhere near to firefox.
its the only tool (=extension) for creating such rules or write it manually down
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

You don't need to add it, it's still there, 63b4.. for decoration.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

For years now,I've controlled Firefox updates like this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14802632
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)