MozillaZine

How to get blank tabs in Quantum 60.2.0esr?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Clueless in Seattle

Post Posted September 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm

I updated from Firefox ESR 52.2.0 (32-bit) to Firefox to Quantum 60.2.0esr (32-bit) and ended up losing many if not all of my most important settings.

I had my old Firefox set so that it booted up with five completely blank and empty tabs.

I've found a web page showing instructions for doing this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/7dnew2/how_to_switch_new_tab_to_blank_page_in_quantum/

Go to about:config (in the address bar)
    Search for browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled

The problem is that browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enabled doesn't seem to exist in list that appears when I look at about:config. I do see a long list of 40 or more items all beginning with browser.newtabpage.activity-stream. But none matches browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.

Any ideas on how I can get completely blank and uncluttered tabs in Quantum 60.2.0esr?
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

the-edmeister

Post Posted September 8th, 2018, 2:17 pm

That Reddit thread is 9 months old. Quantum was changed in either Fx 60 or 61 with regards to the activity-stream preferences. I don't recall exactly what got changed, but I disable all that crap on the Homepage and use New Tab Tools for the New Tab page.

Check Reddit for a more recent thread from Fx 60 or 61, although on second thought it was probably Fx 60 when that change was made. I have Quantum installed, but rarely use it for much of anything. I stick with Firefox 38 ESR ot Firefox 47.0.1 for most everything I do online. Hell, I probably use Basilisk more than Quantum.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

jscher2000

Post Posted September 8th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Hmm, what is the connection between starting up with 5 blank tabs and the contents of the new tab page??

Startup => Home page > Custom URLs
At startup, Firefox usually will show your home page. If you want 5 blank tabs, you can set your home page accordingly:

about:blank|about:blank|about:blank|about:blank|about:blank

Of course, that also will affect each new Window you open using Ctrl+n. Not sure if you do that often.

New Tab Page
Firefox 62 (and I think Firefox 61) has a section of the Options page called Home where you can assign New Tab Page to Blank Page. Before that, I think you had to just turn off all the data sources for the page, or use the New Tab Override extension.

Clueless in Seattle

Post Posted September 9th, 2018, 9:18 am

Hmm, I already tried that.

Here's what I set under Home:

But when I start Quantum, it only opens a single tab.

However I did manage to get that single tab to display as blank by selecting "Show a blank page" so I'm half-way there.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

therube

Post Posted September 10th, 2018, 6:08 am

Working here.

Set Home Page to 'Blank Page'.

Change your desktop shortcut to:
Code: Select all
 .../firefox.exe  -url "about:blank|about:blank|about:blank|about:blank|about:blank"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Clueless in Seattle

Post Posted September 10th, 2018, 9:47 am

What are the steps for setting the Home Page to 'Blank Page'?

Here's what my settings look like now:

https://flic.kr/p/28bW4Cy

I don't know what to change.

As for a desktop shortcut, I I'm not sure I have one. Quantum runs automatically when I boot up my PC.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Return to Firefox Support