Legacy v52 ESR, help please !

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
sepia

Re: Legacy v52 ESR, help please !

Post by sepia »

@Brummelchen

Disrespectful comments won't change the facts.
Indeed, people had time enough to test Quantum and for the matter, the price of giving up powerful legacy extensions for web extensions.
Being a Firefox user for many years I had to take a decision and I'm not the only one.
I'm still using Firefox 52.9.0 ESR but it isn't my default browser anymore. Alea iacta est. No hard feelings, no moaning om my part.
It's sad to see Firefox falling below five percent market share.
Farewell Firefox and best wishes.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

therube wrote:(The new) PM 28 is based off of FF 52.
Whether it is based upon Fx52 (or Fx 55 as another posted mentioned), PaleMoon uses the dumb-ass "orange Firefox button" UI which was garbage when it came about with Firefox 4.0; where Basilisk uses the newer Australis type UI. The UI is what most users complain about and care about when they start using a different web browser. The "average user" doesn't know XUL from UXP, nor do they care about Gecko; they want a browser that looks (and works) as they are accustomed to using.

As far as Basilisk being a "development platform", in my opinion it is more of a "Rapid Release" version with the Australis UI.

Just my opinions, I am happily using Firefox ESR 38 for the Legacy extensions that I feel I need; I also use Firefox 47.0.1 for parts of each day for activities where I was able to get by with the loss of a few Legacy extensions due to the Extension Signing debacle, extensions that I edited / modified in past years to keep them working. I lost many extensions with Firefox 2.0, then 3.0, then again with 4.0 and was able to keep using them up to Fx 48 - so that is where & when I started giving up on Firefox / Mozilla. I do have Quantum installed with 3 Profiles, but I rarely used it for much of anything; the lack of suitable API's for add-ons being available when Firefox 57 first came just might seal Firefox fate in the long term.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
therube

Post by therube »

One uses what works for them.
If Basilisk works for you, by all means.
But one should also point out that Basilisk is not meant to be a "Release" product.
And if you want Release, you should use Pale Moon.
If Release or not, does not matter to you, & you prefer Basilisk for whatever reason, that's fine.

@B, PM 28 is based off of FF 52.x [afaik, something prior to 52.9], not 55. And sure, they'll pick up appropriate pieces from other versions if it meets their needs.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

I am using 52.9.0 ESR because it enables the use of extensions that I find essential. Quantum does not interest me.

I have used Pale Moon in the past and although I generally liked it such as it retaining the status bar which FF needed yet another extension and having the search bar remain open for all pages which even FF 52 does not do and is damn annoying having to keep opening. What really broke Palemoon for me was that some other extensions would not install due to the extension versions that it supported. Any extensions claimed that PM supported extensions for v27 or something like that so any new updated extensions for sites would not work.

If PM is now using FF 52 source code and allows v52 extensions then I might look at it again.
sepia

Post by sepia »

Red_Dwarf wrote:If PM is now using FF 52 source code and allows v52 extensions then I might look at it again.
PM 28 is based on FF 52.9.0 ESR.
This doesn't mean that both browsers are identical. Legacy extensions working with FF 52.9.0 ESR might work or might not work with PM 28.
6 out of my 7 extensions which work with FF 52.9.0 ESR are working with PM 28.0.1 too. Best way to find out is to test with a portable PM.
Red_Dwarf

Post by Red_Dwarf »

sepia wrote:
Red_Dwarf wrote:If PM is now using FF 52 source code and allows v52 extensions then I might look at it again.
PM 28 is based on FF 52.9.0 ESR.
This doesn't mean that both browsers are identical. Legacy extensions working with FF 52.9.0 ESR might work or might not work with PM 28.
6 out of my 7 extensions which work with FF 52.9.0 ESR are working with PM 28.0.1 too. Best way to find out is to test with a portable PM.
Thanks, I will try the portable to see how well it works with the extensions that I use.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Have you looked into Waterfox? Quite safe (except for lags of up to a week or two getting latest security patches out -- I use FF 60esr until), fast and stable. Supports all my older "legacy" addons.

Support forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/