How to quickly and easily make a copy of FF profile

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
petergo

How to quickly and easily make a copy of FF profile

Post by petergo »

hi there

I have been using Mozbackup for many years for both backing up FF and TB, but it is NOT perfect

It appears the best solution for safe keeping profiles of the mozilla utilities is to copy the respective profiles, and save to a USB or other safe place

What I would like to know is there an app or an easier way to get to the profile folder quickly without having to travel the convoluted path way from user to app data and so on and so on?

I know that selecting Help then troubleshooting gets you there to the profile, but it also takes many steps

kindest thanks
cheers
peter

PS.. I have used also apps called Firefox backup tool and Backup Thunderbird Tool, but they are far from perfect when one does a restore
DanRaisch

Re: How to quickly and easily make a copy of FF profile

Post by DanRaisch »

Help->Troubleshooting Information->Open Folder hardly seems to "take many steps". It's a total of 3. And when you click on the third you are in the correct location to just copy the entire profile for pasting to a safe location.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

I have about:profiles bookmarked and pinned and use that.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Frank

I am a fan, and use two of your add ons, the Australis scroll bar and the Customize pallette, and I am kost grateful to you for those. I still use FF ver 52, and am so saddened that when the time comes and I have to upgrade, I will lose your products.

any hows, thanks for the suggestion, but being an old fart and dummy, may I kindly ask you id you have the time and inclination, to let me know how to bookmark about:profiles and pin it

thanks m8
cheers
peter

ps.. thank you Dan again
thechamlin

Post by thechamlin »

petergo, all you need to do is
1. type in about:profiles in the url line and hit enter. You'll see that page open showing your profile options with the "open folder" button.
2. Right click on the tab and select "pin tab" and you'll see it appear to the far right of all tabs. It will stay available for any time you need it.
petergo

Post by petergo »

thank you all for help and suggestions

I did finally achieve one thing though, and that was I was able to delete a pesky profile that no longer existed except when I open Mozbackup, so it's gone at last- THANK YOU

forgive me fellas, but these are not a way to backup quickly at the end of the day

Mozbackup was easy and nifty, but alas it was not perfect espec with TB, and I would have to change the settings always because I would get error " smtp something or other"

thanks folks
cheers
peter
costark

Post by costark »

--------
http://www.hekasoft.com/hekasoft-backup-restore/

Because I have Not Actually Used it to Recover a Profile I was chastised prior for offering this Mozbackup-Like App for any reader's consideration. Per the pic in Link above Open the App and you see Backup & Restore Buttons with Restore defaulting to the X number of saved Profile Data Files in your Folder - Choose one as desired. (Edit: It over-writes a current Profile on this computer / adds this profile & makes it Default on another computer) so Save the "problem one" first as appropriate.)
I keep the App and Bkup Folder Shtcuts on the Desktop (Inst'd to Win 7 Program Files and there is a Portable Ver, too).
FF & TB OK .... Caveats for IE and Chrome.

I manually Copy-Paste Profiles to ext Drives, so it's an extra, easy luxury to try first if needed.

@ thechamlin: Neat trick with Pin About:Profiles. My v61 puts a Small FF Globe at far Left of Tabs Vs far Right - maybe Custom Theme does that. Thanks.

Last edited by costark on September 11th, 2018, 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks costark

tried it previously some time back, as I dont use it, I believe i didnt think it was any good

However being the open minded spirit I am , I'll give it a second chance, and see how it works

thanks, cheers
peter
costark

Post by costark »

petergo wrote:thanks costark

tried it previously some time back, as I dont use it, I believe i didnt think it was any good

However being the open minded spirit I am , I'll give it a second chance, and see how it works

thanks, cheers
peter
Heckasoft Bkup-Restore founder, Claudio Masci, is great in answering Sppt emails and he clarified what happens when you do a FF Profile Restore from a "chosen" Saved Backup:

[ "Hekasoft Backup & Restore during the backup makes a copy of the profile folder (for example if the profile that you are going to backup is xd4fsdfs.default then the restored will be xd4fsdfs.default."
So if you restore your profile on another computer where the xd4fsdfs.default profile is not present, it will be created and set as default (the other profile will still be available), if you restore it on a computer where the profile -- xd4fsdfs.default -- is already present it will be overwritten by the restore." ]

FEBE wanted a manually made new Profile + then Import saved. H'Soft Over-writes with chosen Bkup, so save Bad Profile first as desired and proceed with Restore.

Post results if you do a Test.
Last edited by costark on September 11th, 2018, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Free file sync
Aomei Backupper free
WinRAR with command line options as a Windows task
petergo

Post by petergo »

hey

Heckasoft worked..... 99% ook

found a couple of errors, but main thing for me, at least I did not have to got to settings and make corrections there, as I always seemed to have to do with Mozbackup

thanks m8, will use Hekasoft as #1, and Mozbackup and #2 for backup......... just in case

cheers
peter
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Peter,
If, as you say, you have to "modify/correct" a few settings after using MozBackUp, then un-install it.
It's your choice & as you know, it's not being supported anymore & can cause issues/errors.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)