What's your thoughts on what Walton said

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
toolong

Re: What's your thoughts on what Walton said

Post by toolong »

mightyglydd wrote:Hah, that's another subject, if they wanted users to test, why wasn't there a simple e10 On/Off option in Builds?
Farting about with ever changing about:config settings made it a royal PITA.

I don't recall that Mozilla ever said that 'they' were going to test extensions for compatibility for this. It was supposed to be a 'you want it - make the effort' along with the Dev(s) of the extension.

And as I recall the list was only a list of 'known to (reported to) work'. And I seem to remember that the Dev had to add it.

And, IMHO, as for the 'click-click' off and on feature? If it is too much effort for you to try to solve your problem(s) why is it not to much effort to complain? Months later. Be serious.

](*,)
James

Post by James »

Legacy Extensions at A.M.O is coming to an end now that Fx 52 (52.9.0esr) is EOL with no more updates.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/08 ... x-add-ons/
pirst

Post by pirst »

well since they are talking about security without defining it - it's obvious territory of doublethink. You know it's like security from the point of criminal on top of the world brokeback mountain view. The pyramid that has top missing and replaced with oppression by all seeing eye or that anonymous logo with headless body of some sort of men in black with question mark warning to not ask and not tell. Is it a Dr Evil or Dr WHO? Think about movie "boxing helena" where evil doctor started amputating "features" of his person of interest to make his "research" more secure and safe for himself.

https://vimeo.com/111292726

in other words the neutrality is long gone on the internet as it's divided into "you're with us or with the terrorists" battlefield for hearts and minds.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Off-topic Waterfox discussion was split to here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041620

Please do not hijack threads like that. Thanks.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

@The Mechanic, while said, they went down their own road with those for sure. I agree with your view as well, I think what Mighty was pointing to, was for many non-technical uses. James after support ends, is that it for legacy extensions? @pirst Interesting comment. @smsmith thanks for catching that.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

James wrote:Legacy Extensions at A.M.O is coming to an end now that Fx 52 (52.9.0esr) is EOL with no more updates.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2018/08 ... x-add-ons/
Will they still work with my 52.9ESR? I'm not updating.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
therube

Post by therube »

Legacy extensions will still work in FF 52 ESR, in any browser that supports Legacy extensions, but they will not be available (from AMO).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Do they just remove the extensions?
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

They will be removed from the Addons.mozilla.org website.

If you have your version of Firefox with classic addons, it will continue to work the way it did before. But if you have to reinstall Firefox 52 anew, you won't be able to find these old addons.

A few resources should be available for old extensions. One I have seen so far is CA-archive which is a catalogue of all classic addons that work on FF 0-56 and compatibles like Waterfox and Basilisk. There are two limitations of CA-archive:

1. To make it work, you have to disable e-10 mode and restart Firefox.
2. Right now, the links point to addons.mozilla.org. The author says that he has a database ready to go and that it will be online by the time AMO pulls the plug, but it probably means that the extension will have to be updated.

As for Pale Moon, they went in a different direction with a different encoding of extensions. So don't count on addons.palemoon.org as a source for classic extensions.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I figured someone would make a database. Mozilla users are resourceful.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network