Is SeaMonkey still working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by elake »

I don't see any posts here since Microsoft did its big update on September 11 or 12. I can't get Seamonkey to work anymore. All the links are bad. If I have an image on my web page that is supposed to import an image from some web site, that link is now a ftp link that makes no sense.

Hello? Is anyone out there?
frg

Re: Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by frg »

> Is SeaMonkey still working?

Yes on 7, 8.1 and Server 2016. Didn't test 10 but I would surprised if not.

Btw. what big update? RS5 is only scheduled for next month.
elake

Post by elake »

I forgot to mention that when I look at my web site in composer mode, all the images have broken links. They just show the broken image link symbol. And for an image on my main page that use to have a link of "email-1.jpg" because it was an image from my web site, it now has an link of ftps://ftp.ed-lake.com/index.html/email-1.jpg

Is that going to work? I'm having all kinds of problems with composer. All the parameters in the "publish" and "settings" boxes are now black. I can't remember what was in them. They were always filled automatically for the past 4 years. So, I haven't yet been able to try an update. Has anyone here done any updating since the Sept. 11 windows 10 update?
elake

Post by elake »

frg wrote:> Is SeaMonkey still working?

Yes on 7, 8.1 and Server 2016. Didn't test 10 but I would surprised if not.

Btw. what big update? RS5 is only scheduled for next month.
On Wednesday morning I turned on my computer and windows had just done a major update. Suddenly all my bookmarks were gone. I've been trying to figure things out since then. I thought the whole world would have the same problems I have, but I don't see any mention of it. Microsoft Edge is now the main browser. Here's a news story about it https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-10- ... -features/
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That article is talking about a release "in the coming weeks" so it's not clear that the update you got was anything more than the monthly security update. Version 1803 installed on my system yesterday and SeaMonkey is running fine today.

Have you tried creating a new profile, just to see if the issue may be corrupted files in the old profile?
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:That article is talking about a release "in the coming weeks" so it's not clear that the update you got was anything more than the monthly security update. Version 1803 installed on my system yesterday and SeaMonkey is running fine today.

Have you tried creating a new profile, just to see if the issue may be corrupted files in the old profile?
Sorry, I don't know what "creating a new profile" means.

This is my last post for today. I'll be back tomorrow morning.

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See this link to access the Profile Manager -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manag ... le_Manager
frg

Post by frg »

Checked out SeaMonkey in a 10 vm after the latest round of updates and everything is still ok. Black boxes indicate some video driver problem. The update might have installed a new driver. Updates from Nvidia and AMD were just released. Not sure if Microsoft already updated and included new ones in the update. It might also be possible you were still on 1709 and got updated to the April 1803 update. Remember its Windows 10 as a useless service :)

I probably would first deinstall SeaMonkey and do a reinstall. I doubt it will help but Win 10 is such a piece of **** that I won't rule out anything. If SeaMonkey still behaves odd then check if the video driver has been updated and mabe disable hardware acceleration.
If this doesn't help you profile might be damaged. In this case usually only restoring a backup helps unless you want to create a brand new profile from scratch. See Dans link for advice using a test profile along your normal one.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:See this link to access the Profile Manager -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manag ... le_Manager
I don't know what the profile manager is for. I don't see how it is going to help in my crisis.

Ah! The link didn't take me to the top of the page. I just looked at the top of the page and it seems to be where all the information I lost was stored. I'll have to study that page some more. I assume that I am now using a new "profile manager" as I re-enter passwords and parameters.

I clocked on "tools" and then on password manager, and all that it contains are the passwords I've used since Tuesday.

As I study it some more, that looks like where all my problems came from. I lost all the stuff in my profile manager.
Last edited by elake on September 15th, 2018, 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
elake

Post by elake »

I'm wondering if I wasn't just one of the first to get the new Windows 10 update. My computer is set to do the updates at night, so that I don't have to wait around while the update takes place during my work hours. When I turned on my computer on Tuesday morning, I was notified that the update had taken place.

I lost all my bookmarks. I saw an option to delete bookmarks on some Seamonkey page when I reinstalled Seamonkey yesterday. I think there was an x in the box, and you need to unclick the x to prevent having your bookmarks deleted. Why would anyone want to delete their bookmarks?

All the little icons at the bottom of the screen were gone. I had to hunt through program files to find the .exe files that start WORD and Seamonkey and paint.net and cuteftp and OpenOffice, etc., so I could reestablish the icons. I still haven't found how to access Notepad. It is really a problem not having Notepad available. I'm worried that the new version of Windows doesn't include Notepad.

I can't understand why all the links on my index.html file were screwed up. It's the only web page I accessed since the new versions of Windows 10 was installed. And its the only page with the screwed up links. I did a backup on September 1, so I'm going to use that to try to recover. I'm doing screen captures to record all the problems. My only thought is that I may have downloaded a screwed up version of Seamonkey on Tuesday morning. On Tuesday morning there was a notification of some kind to download the latest version of Seamonkey and I did it. What could possibly change a link of "email-1.jpg" to ftps://ftp.ed-lake.com/index.html/email-1.jpg"?

My BIGGEST problem is that all the passwords and parameters that I need to access things were lost. I have most passwords written down, but there's about 100 of them. Losing the parameters is a problem. For example, I have to fill in the "Publish" and "Settings" boxes before I can publish anything via Seamonkey. I think I know what those parameters are, but I need to find the instructions. For the past 4 years the parameters were always filled in automatically.

I'm not sure what I lost to cause that. Does it mean I lost my "cookies" file?

Oh yes, I also lost all my saved emails. I don't know if they were deleted or if I just lost access to them. There are thousands of them. And I never figured out how to do do a backup. On Tuesday morning the "mail and newsgroups" window had nothing in it. I have to rebuild it to access my emails via the "mail and newsgroups" window. Right now I'm getting my emails from my email providers' web sites.

I'm probably forgetting something else that I lost. It is a major catastrophe for me.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

Yeah, the more I look at things, the more it seems like I lost my "profile manager" data. Four years worth. I lost all my book marks. I lost all the cookie files. Etc. The Windows 10 update may not have had anything to do with the problem. The problem may have been that I somehow installed a screwed up version of Seamonkey on Tuesday morning.

Any suggestions on how to recover from that?
therube

Post by therube »

> ftps://

S, ?

Anyhow, in any case, you need a username/password to see your picture.

Posting a screenshot on the forum
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
elake

Post by elake »

Let's see if this works. Below is a screen capture of my email address from the top of my web site. It's a little confusing because it also shows what the email address should look like. That is the address in black. Below it is what was on my page as of Tuesday morning. You can see the broken link symbol and the new address that was inserted. I held the cursor over that box when I did the screen capture. That is where the address came from.

elake

Post by elake »

Here's another screen shot where there was an internet image on my web site:

https://i.imgur.com/1nKUncC.jpg

The image was a diagram of how an atomic clock works that is on some web page. I found it via Google images.
elake

Post by elake »

Okay. I just changed the name of my main page in my computer folder to index-old.html and copied the version of index.html I saved on September 1 to the same folder. When I look at that version in composer, all the images are there and the links are as they should be. I can copy and paste all the additions I added since September 1 over to the new version (and fix any image links).

Then I just need to fill in the parameter boxes for the publish and settings boxes and I should be able to upload it to my site.

Did the copying from the old-html to the new html main page. Tried to publish.

Didn't work. But the instructions say I need to contact my host to make sure the settings parameters are correct. That's what I'll do next.
Last edited by elake on September 15th, 2018, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.