menu bar item darkens on mouseover

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jhaber3

menu bar item darkens on mouseover

Post by jhaber3 »

I choose to show the menu bar. I notice that, since my last installation, the item to which I point darkens during the mouseover (while the menu options of course drop down). Maybe I'm just not used to it, but can I change that behavior to eliminate the darkening? It essentially makes the item not visible. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: menu bar item darkens on mouseover

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Yes. Well, more accurately, when I start in safe mode I'm back to defaults, so the menu bar doesn't appear at all. But if I make it appear, same behavior. I assume it's just a routine new design decision on Firefox's part that I happen to dislike, and I was just wondering if there's a config setting to override.
ghot

Post by ghot »

I had same problem, sort of. I was using the older 1.5.3 Aris release of the userChrome.css. When I switched to the 2.0.5 version, it was half fixed. :)

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3041525

/edit Don't know if this info will help, but here it is anyway.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

jhaber3 wrote:I choose to show the menu bar. I notice that, since my last installation, the item to which I point darkens during the mouseover (while the menu options of course drop down). Maybe I'm just not used to it, but can I change that behavior to eliminate the darkening? It essentially makes the item not visible. Thanks.
That is a new "feature" in Firefox 62. I would call it a color overlay. Previously on cursor hover the menu item would lighten a bit, now the Window Color & Appearance in Windows is used to color the menu item on hover; blue, grey, etc to match the Windows theme.

More than likely that can be overridden thru userChrome.css.
Check here for the code needed, and if you see nothing applicable in the first 4 or 5 pages of threads ask about it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/
That is one of the best resources for finding userChrome.css code for Quantum Firefox currently. Aris code ideas from CTR got us started on the path, but with recent changes to Firefox those batches of code from Aris may need some tweaking.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Interesting, if a little overwhelming. If I follow, there's actually not a css with Firefox, so that it creates style decisions like this another way somehow, but you can create one with only very limited style changes, and that getting its name right allows it to apply? And then I'll need to learn some new css. New territory to me!
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

As a quick follow-up, while I had trouble finding a resource I understood, I tried a file with just this, but alas no effect, so I have more to learn:

.topnav a:hover {
color: white !important;
}

.topnav a:active {
color: white !important;
}
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

File needs this as the first line:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul");
If that doesn't fix it post back. As you mentioned, the filename has to be exactly right, if you have made userChrome.css.txt instead of userChrome.css because a text editor added the default .txt extension it won't work. On linux or mac and I'm not sure about Windows, UserChrome.CSS or userchrome.css won't work (note the capital letters).
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks. Interesting, but doesn't seem to be helping. I did check that I'd saved the file with a css extension and no added txt, so fine. I also added that "@namespace" line at top, which curiously isn't in any of the threads I'd viewed, so doubly curious. But no, no help there.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

You may have the file in the wrong place. Try following the tutorial you are following again from the start, and maybe instead of your code do a test userChrome.css that only changes the font for example, just use any short userChrome.css example you can find.
ghot

Post by ghot »

This line: @namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul"); ...isn't used in the newest version of Aris' release, anymore.

I'm using this version: custom_css_for_fx_v2.0.5.zip from here: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx/releases

This release seems to fix the dark menu item problem. The inside of my Chrome folder looks like this....

/edit I noticed another change as well. There is no xml folder, inside the Chrome folder... anymore.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

I don't think the OP is using aris's scripts and may not want to use them, he may be only trying to fix one problem, not change many things back to how they were years ago.
Here is the tutorial I like for userChrome.css - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037817
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I can't see how I could have come up with the wrong location and name for the folder and file I created. I just looked at the files that ghot recommended, and I'm afraid they make dozens upon dozens of changes, so I've absolutely no way to pick out the single change I want. I do see that many lines begin "-moz," suggesting that I may have the syntax wrong entirely. I was thinking of what I'm used to in css, but that's from coding a Web site, not changing the behavior of an application like a browser.

The tutorial seems a little unhelpful, if I'm not being rude or stubborn. It seems only to say yet again to create the file, just adding a test line for turning some element or other red. Again, all I want to do is to alter the font color of mouseovers in the menu bar. Oh, dear.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Ah, trying to sort through the lines in the huge script (which in fact consists of a number of "import" commands, each invoking separate css files in subfolders), this one line might be pertinent

#main-window:not(:-moz-lwtheme) #main-menubar > menu:-moz-any(:hover,[open],[_moz-menuactive]) {
background: HighlightText !important;
color: HighlightText !important;
}

Can't say I can actually translate that into ordinary language point by point, alas, but it does pertain. (I also tried selectively adding and deleting other nearby script lines, but it wasn't obvious what difference they made.)

That changes the mouseover to menu item background blue, menu item white. I tried toning that down by changing background to gray, which verified at least that we were on the pertinent entry. I actually like the behavior in Thunderbird, where the background doesn't change color at all but appears to become 3D around the pertinent menu item. (Barring that, I'd settle for the paler blue that a mouseover on the dropdown menu then invokes in Firefox.) I haven't found code for that, at least yet, by searching the Web. Of course, if anyone happens to know it, my thanks.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

userChrome changes do not take effect until you close all windows of the browser and restart it. Beyond that all i can suggest is trying the tutorial again, maybe using the downloaded files for the "automatic" method.