Can't save login ("not secure")

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jhaber3

Can't save login ("not secure")

Post by jhaber3 »

There's a site I use often, to add value to the plastic card with which I pay for the laundry room in my building. When I go to log in, my saved login isn't showing because instead I have the error message that the site isn't secure. I can continue by entering the user id and password manually, and I'll be asked (by both Firefox and LastPass) if I wish to remember it. But no matter: next time I'll have multiple saved logins for the same page, but they still won't display.

Is there a workaround? Thanks.
mightyglydd

Re: Can't save login ("not secure")

Post by mightyglydd »

Yeah, use quarters..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Very funny. (It doesn't actually take quarters.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

I thought the Mob liked cash businesses..guess information's more valuable nowadays.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Oh, stop it. It simply (and going back well before the privacy debates) gives coop owners the convenience of accepting credit cards for a shared laundry room with equipment bought and maintained by the corporation. I don't believe the supplier knows anything about me but my address and payment info. Of course, it knows I do laundry, but that's the point, and it doesn't use that to sell me other goods or to tell, say, a retail chain that I own clothes. I am just trying to restore basic functionality like a saved login.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

They expect you to enter sensitive information on an HTTP page?

By default, Firefox does not autofill login forms on HTTP pages, but instead has you click the field and then shows a drop-down of your saved logins. Does that part work?

I created a test page which you switch between HTTP and HTTPS to observe the behavior: http://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/logintest.html (Don't use any real username/password on that page.)
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Looks like the company's home page takes me, for logging in, to an address that's a kind of redirect, ending with a question mark and a URL with "https." While this doesn't seem to work as intended, if I go instead to the latter URL, my saved password appears. So a fix of sorts is simply to avoid the first URL, I think. Not sure how to explain this, but no, otherwise a saved password (whether from Firefox or, alternatively, LastPass, can't appear while the warning is showing).

Oddly enough, something slightly different but overlapping happens if I click the email link taking me here. I get the very same warning, blocking the login id/password from showing. In that case, though, unlike in the one I reported, if I click on "log in," then it refreshes with the login showing, and only THEN does the login button work. So two different behaviors from two different sites. Disturbing, though, that one is connected to this very forum, suggesting that the problem is more ubiquitous than I'd like to see?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

jhaber3 wrote:Looks like the company's home page takes me, for logging in, to an address that's a kind of redirect, ending with a question mark and a URL with "https." While this doesn't seem to work as intended, if I go instead to the latter URL, my saved password appears. So a fix of sorts is simply to avoid the first URL, I think. Not sure how to explain this, but no, otherwise a saved password (whether from Firefox or, alternatively, LastPass, can't appear while the warning is showing).
That's an old design pattern, only using HTTPS on websites for the login process. Better to asdf the two fields and then enter your real login on the secure page.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

I appreciate it. I'm sure you're right, and I should just forget the old way of locating the site. Would you mind for the ignorant, though, spelling out "asdf"? Thanks.