Is SeaMonkey still working?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
elake

Re: Is SeaMonkey still working?

Post by elake »

Okay, new problem. When I tried to publish the main page for my web site, it was "unsuccessful." Evidently, I didn't fill in the various parameters in the publish and settings boxes correctly. I've been hunting for the instructions for doing that, but I'm not sure where to look. Can someone give me a hint?

The parameters have all been filled in automatically for the past 4 years.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It seems you are not clear on what a profile is or what the profile manager does.
Mozilla applications store your personal settings, added extensions and themes, and user data such as bookmarks, passwords, cookies and mail in a "profile". The Profile Manager allows you create and manage profiles. A new profile is useful for troubleshooting since it allows the application to run without extensions, themes, or customized settings. If you have multiple profiles you can use the Profile Manager to switch profiles.
When you create a new profile it is created with all default values. None of the settings changes made to the original profile are carried over automatically. The old profile is still there and can be used if desired, as noted in the last sentence of that quotation.
Pav78

Post by Pav78 »

elake wrote:Okay, new problem. When I tried to publish the main page for my web site, it was "unsuccessful." Evidently, I didn't fill in the various parameters in the publish and settings boxes correctly. I've been hunting for the instructions for doing that, but I'm not sure where to look. Can someone give me a hint?

What is your OS Version? Go to All Settings/Update and Security/OS Build Info. Scroll to lower part of screen to see Windows Specifications. What is Edition and Version?
elake

Post by elake »

FYI, I just turned on my other laptop. It has very little memory. There was a message saying that Windows was unable to install updates. That is probably because it didn't have enough memory to do it. I'll play around with it when I find some time to see what happens. I now know it was a glitch with Seamonkey, not an update the Windows 10 that caused my disaster. My other laptop doesn't have Seamonkey on it.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:It seems you are not clear on what a profile is or what the profile manager does.
Mozilla applications store your personal settings, added extensions and themes, and user data such as bookmarks, passwords, cookies and mail in a "profile". The Profile Manager allows you create and manage profiles. A new profile is useful for troubleshooting since it allows the application to run without extensions, themes, or customized settings. If you have multiple profiles you can use the Profile Manager to switch profiles.
When you create a new profile it is created with all default values. None of the settings changes made to the original profile are carried over automatically. The old profile is still there and can be used if desired, as noted in the last sentence of that quotation.
Sorry for not responding quicker. I'm not that familiar with this forum, and I didn't realize postings had gone on to a second page until I tried to post something and nothing happened.

I think the problem is that I cannot switch profiles because only the new profile is in the table. I have no way to access the old profile - if it still exists. Is there some way I can find it via Windows Explorer?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If you created a new profile using the profile manager, the old profile should still be accessible.
Are you using menu path Tools->Switch Profile to view the "table"?
elake

Post by elake »

Pav78 wrote:
elake wrote:Okay, new problem. When I tried to publish the main page for my web site, it was "unsuccessful." Evidently, I didn't fill in the various parameters in the publish and settings boxes correctly. I've been hunting for the instructions for doing that, but I'm not sure where to look. Can someone give me a hint?

What is your OS Version? Go to All Settings/Update and Security/OS Build Info. Scroll to lower part of screen to see Windows Specifications. What is Edition and Version?
I use Windows 10. I just realized I no longer know how to get to "settings." Something else has changed, but I'm not sure what. There used to be something in the lower left corner of my screen that I would use quite often. I think I would use it to get to Windows Explorer. But now Windows Explorer seems to be there as an icon at the bottom of the screen all the time. I've got Edge as my second browser.

I know I must seem like an idiot, but I've been doing the same things over and over for years, and I never thought about how to get to them. They were just there - or I did things automatically without thinking.
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:If you created a new profile using the profile manager, the old profile should still be accessible.
Are you using menu path Tools->Switch Profile to view the "table"?
Here's the profile box:

I'm using a "default" and there are no other profiles on the list. When I click on "available profiles" nothing happens. I suspect I've always used the default. I never heard of a "profile manager" before today.

I'm done for today. I'll be back tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Ed
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I assume that I am now using a new "profile manager" as I re-enter passwords and parameters.
It seems that you have not yet created a new profile but are still working with the same, possibly corrupted, profile you had when you first posted this thread.
elake

Post by elake »

Pav78 wrote:

Okay. It says,

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1803
Installed on: 6/3/2018
OS Build: 17134.285

I'm still in panic mode, so it took me awhile to figure out what you were asking.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
I assume that I am now using a new "profile manager" as I re-enter passwords and parameters.
It seems that you have not yet created a new profile but are still working with the same, possibly corrupted, profile you had when you first posted this thread.
Okay, now that I've had a good night's sleep and had time to calm down a bit, I don't know what "creating a new profile means," how to go about it, or what it would accomplish.
Pav78

Post by Pav78 »

Pav78 wrote: What is your OS Version? Go to All Settings/Update and Security/OS Build Info. Scroll to lower part of screen to see Windows Specifications. What is Edition and Version?
elake wrote: Okay. It says,
I'm still in panic mode, so it took me awhile to figure out what you were asking.
Ed
That is the same exact version of Windows that I have and I have none of the problems that you are describing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

elake wrote:...I don't know what "creating a new profile means," how to go about it, or what it would accomplish.
See your screen shot above of the SeaMonkey Profile Manager. Click on the "Manage Profiles" button at bottom left and then on the "Create profile" button.
elake

Post by elake »

Pav78 wrote:
Pav78 wrote: What is your OS Version? Go to All Settings/Update and Security/OS Build Info. Scroll to lower part of screen to see Windows Specifications. What is Edition and Version?
elake wrote: Okay. It says,
Ed
That is the same exact version of Windows that I have and I have none of the problems that you are describing.
Yes, it was determined that all my problems come from somehow downloading a bad copy of Seamonkey. I lost all the information in the "profile" I was using. It just happened at the same time as they applied the last update of Windows.

I suppose it is possible it was the last update of my security software. The box on my other computer just says "Unable to apply updates." It doesn't say updates to what. But, as far as I know, only my security software and Windows can apply updates during the night when I'm not using my computer.

At least that is how I understand the situation right now. I'm not a techie. I'm still trying to recover the ability to update my web site. My host seems to have stopped responding to emails for the weekend.

I really need to figure out how to have Notepad as an icon at the bottom of my screen. I really use Notepad a lot. I was able to find the places in the PROGRAMS folder where I could reset the icons for Word, for paint.net, for cuteftp, for Seamonkey, and for Open Office, but I cannot find the program exe to get back Notepad.

I've also got a zillion other things going on in my life right now, so it is difficult to focus on one specific problem.

Ed
elake

Post by elake »

DanRaisch wrote:
elake wrote:...I don't know what "creating a new profile means," how to go about it, or what it would accomplish.
See your screen shot above of the SeaMonkey Profile Manager. Click on the "Manage Profiles" button at bottom left and then on the "Create profile" button.
Okay. I guess that should have been obvious, but I've got a million things happening at once, so it's hard to focus. I'll try that as soon as I finish something else I'm doing. Thanks.