[Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Oomingmak

Re: [Ext] Classic Theme Restorer

Post by Oomingmak »

Hi Aris,

Just wanted to mention a minor menu layout issue that was introduced in CTR v1.6.7.

It causes the vertical separator between menu icons and menu text to be widened (so that it looks as if there is a vertical white strip cut out of the menu). Additionally, the horizontal menu separators extend too far left and cross over the vertical separator instead of lining up with it.

I'm using version 1.7.7.2, but I went and tried several different earlier versions of CTR until I found which one it occurred in, and it turns out that v1.6.7 was the culprit (whereas v1.6.6.and earlier are fine).

I know it's only a minor issue, but nevertheless could you please let me know what CSS I could use to correct this? Thanks.

P.S. As a quick FYI, I found another layout issue that was introduced in a different version of CTR (this time in v1.7.6). This one causes the width of the two panes of the Firefox Button Menu (the old-school Title Bar button, not the 'hamburger' menu) to become too narrow, thereby cutting off some of the menu's text. However, I have already managed to fix that issue myself using CSS to widen the panes back to their original size, so I don't need any assistance with that. I just thought I'd mention it anyway, in case you might be interested.
Aris

Post by Aris »

@Oomingmak
Does this only happen with HiDPI modes or with Windows DPI scaling at 100% too?
Haven't seen this glitch yet, so I'm trying to reproduce it.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Try to add this to custom CSS area on CTRs prefwindow.

Code: Select all

/* Hi-DPI overrides of the menu backgrounds, to adjust where the gutter line falls */
	  @media (min-resolution: 1.25dppx) {
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuPrimaryPane menupopup {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, white 22.4px, ThreeDLightShadow 22.4px,
											ThreeDLightShadow 23.2px, ThreeDHighlight 23.2px,
											ThreeDHighlight 24px, white 24px) !important;
		}
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuSecondaryPane menupopup {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, #f1f5fb 22.4px, ThreeDLightShadow 22.4px,
											ThreeDHighlight 24px, #f1f5fb 24px) !important;
		}
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuPrimaryPane menupopup:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, white 22.4px, ThreeDLightShadow 22.4px,
											ThreeDHighlight 24px, white 24px) !important;
		}
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuSecondaryPane menupopup:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, #f1f5fb 22.4px, ThreeDLightShadow 22.4px,
											ThreeDHighlight 24px, #f1f5fb 24px) !important;
		}
	  }

@media (min-resolution: 1.5dppx) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, white 20.6667px, ThreeDLightShadow 20.6667px,
											ThreeDLightShadow 21.3333px, ThreeDHighlight 21.3333px,
											ThreeDHighlight 22px, white 22px) !important;
		}
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, #f1f5fb 20.6667px, ThreeDLightShadow 20.6667px,
											ThreeDHighlight 22px, #f1f5fb 22px) !important;
		}
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuPrimaryPane menupopup:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, white 20.6667px, ThreeDLightShadow 20.6667px,
											ThreeDHighlight 22px, white 22px) !important;
		}
		#main-window[defaultfxtheme="true"] #appmenuSecondaryPane menupopup:-moz-locale-dir(rtl) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, #f1f5fb 20.6667px, ThreeDLightShadow 20.6667px,
											ThreeDHighlight 22px, #f1f5fb 22px) !important;
		}
	  }

@media (min-resolution: 2dppx) {
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, white 19.5px, ThreeDLightShadow 19.5px,
											ThreeDLightShadow 20px, ThreeDHighlight 20px,
											ThreeDHighlight 20.5px, white 20.5px) !important;
		}
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to right, #f1f5fb 19.5px, ThreeDLightShadow 19.5px,
											ThreeDHighlight 20.5px, #f1f5fb 20.5px) !important;
		}
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, white 19.5px, ThreeDLightShadow 19.5px,
											ThreeDHighlight 20.5px, white 20.5px) !important;
		}
		  background-image: linear-gradient(to left, #f1f5fb 19.5px, ThreeDLightShadow 19.5px,
											ThreeDHighlight 20.5px, #f1f5fb 20.5px) !important;
		}
	  }
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Aris wrote:Does this only happen with HiDPI modes or with Windows DPI scaling at 100% too?
Yes, it only happens with scaling. I just checked it with my Windows scaling reset to 100% and the problem disappeared. It then came back again when I switched back to my usual scaling of 125% (a setting that I've been using for so long that I had completely forgotten about it!).

While I'm here, I would appreciate your advice on a different CTR-related issue (which may, coincidentally, end up solving the issue that I raised above).

To make a very long story short: I'm in the process of migrating to Waterfox (which is currently based on Firefox v56 code with ongoing security patches and performance updates). I'm doing this because I want to keep using my legacy extensions (including my beloved CTR) particularly for the ability to alter the browser's user interface to my requirements.

With my extensions installed and a bit of extra tweaking, I've pretty much been able to recreate the exact look and feel of my previous Firefox v52 ESR browser on the new Waterfox platform, which is just what I wanted. There are, however, a couple of outstanding issues: one of them being the icon set that's used in Firefox's 'Library' window. Waterfox is based on the version of Firefox that removed the old colour icons and replaced them with black SVGs. This has meant that I've had to spend ages researching ways to get those icons back, and unfortunately the solutions that I've seen have been either only part implemented or have introduced their own regressions and problems.

But while I was testing different versions of CTR (to track down which version first had the menu separator issue as mentioned above) I ended up going back to CTR v1.6.6 and, to my amazement, Waterfox's entire Library window (and all of the related Bookmarks menu icons) reverted to the old style icons that I have been struggling for so long to reinstate. I didn't even have to do anything, other than just enable CTR, so this was a huge bonus for me. Versions of CTR after v1.6.6 don't have the same effect though; they cause the Waterfox Library to use the default built-in black icons, and the exact same is true for Firefox v56.x.

While this is great news for me, there is a problem though. If I enable the 'Alternative Appearance (classic)' option (which I always use) it causes a 'Search Experience' bar to appear at the top of the Location bar's drop list, and there is nothing that I can do to make it go away.

If I could remove this 'search experience' bar, then this particular version of CTR could be a good option for me. The search experience bar doesn't seem to be causing any adverse effects (other than just looking ugly) so I'd be happy to stick with CTR v1.6.6 because I don't feel as if I'm missing out on much that came with later versions. It also spares me the huge hassle with regards to getting the old Library icons back, and the menu separator issue (that I raised above) would also no longer be an issue because it does not occur in this particular CTR version.

Can you please advise on how I might get rid of this rogue search experience bar using with some css? This seems like a much simpler approach than me using a later version of CTR that doesn't have this search bar issue, but then having to figure out how to get CTR to have the same effect on Library icons as its older version, or (more likely) having to continue investigating 3rd party ways to achieve this.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Aris wrote:Try to add this to custom CSS area on CTRs prefwindow.]
You must have posted while I was typing out my reply above, so I have only just now seen this message.

Thank you. This totally fixes the problem! The separators all display perfectly now.

I look forward to your thoughts on the my latest post. If you have any alternative ideas I would, of course, welcome them.

Thanks
Aris

Post by Aris »

The bar should go away after hitting "No" button, at least that is how it works. Maybe disable CTR, restart, open location bar popup and see, if you can hit Yes of No then. Afterwards enable CTR again.

Could you also post a screenshot of the library icons you are referring to?
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Aris wrote:The bar should go away after hitting "No" button, at least that is how it works. Maybe disable CTR, restart, open location bar popup and see, if you can hit Yes of No then. Afterwards enable CTR again.
Neither of the 'Yes' or 'No' buttons responds when clicking. Only the 'Learn More' link responds. If I disable CTR then the Search Experience bar immediately disappears, there is nothing to click on because it's gone.

Aris wrote: Could you also post a screenshot of the library icons you are referring to?

The image on the left is Waterfox with CTR v1.6.7 installed & enabled. The image on the right is the same Waterfox install, but with CTR v1.6.6 installed & enabled.

CTR v1.6.7 (and all higher versions up to v1.7.7.2) give the result on the left. CTR v1.6.6 and lower gives the result on the right. I'm presuming that it's 'all' lower versions, but in reality I have only tested as low as CTR v1.6.5.

Firefox v56.x behaves exactly the same as shown above with Waterfox. This is because they share the same code-base. The Library icon theme that Waterfox uses is directly inherited from the changes that Mozilla made in Firefox v56.x

As you can see, the theme on the left is a mess (regardless of the icon style). It's mostly flat black SVG icons, but the top level 'All Bookmarks', 'Tags' and 'Downloads' icons have not been changed to the new flat style, and still use the old colour icons from previous versions. Likewise, the bookmark query folder icons on the personal toolbar (i.e. 'Most Visited' and 'Recent Bookmarks') also still use icons from the old theme.

These mismatched icons in the new theme are nothing to do with CTR; that's just what the theme in Firefox v56 looks like (and hence also in Waterfox). CTR's contribution is to either revert all Library icons to the old colour style (in v1.6.6 and lower) or to not do anything at all to the Library icons (in CTR v1.6.7 and higher) and just display whatever the default icons are for that browser.

The only issue that I can see with CTR v1.6.6 on Waterfox is that the 'History' icon has disappeared for some reason. But fixing that one icon is obviously a lot easier than using a later version of CTR and then trying to fix up the entire new Library theme.

So this is why I'd like to use CTR v1.6.6, but unfortunately that version has that the rogue 'Search Experience'bar' bug that cannot be removed or dismissed. This issue is fixed in the very next version of CTR (i.e. v1.6.7) but then we're back to the black icons in the Library. So I thought it would be easier to get css to restore that one missing History icon, and hide the Search Experience bar. Then I'd have the best of all worlds.

P.S. In case you didn't see my previous post, your css fix for the Hi-DPI gutter issue worked perfectly. Thanks.
Aris

Post by Aris »

The location bar popup should not show that note at all. On later CTR versions this issue is fixed, but on 1.6.6 it still is present.
Use this to hide it:

panel[type="autocomplete-richlistbox"]:not(#PopupAutoComplete) hbox[anonid="search-suggestions-notification"],
#PopupAutoCompleteRichResult[autocompleteinput="urlbar"] hbox[anonid="search-suggestions-notification"] {
  display: none !important;
}
The library icons issue is caused by a dropped option: General UI > Page 5 > Replace generic favicon.
This preference does more than just replacing the generic favicon. It also has an effect on library icons in general. I will restore the preference on next update.

This code or only parts of it restores the library icons. Just post the full file into custom css area:

@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul),
	       url(chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul),
	       url(chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul),
	       url(chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksPanel.xul),
	       url(chrome://browser/content/preferences/aboutPermissions.xul),
	       url(about:permissions) {

#alltabs-popup menuitem[image=""] > .menu-iconic-left > .menu-iconic-icon,
  .sidebar-placesTreechildren::-moz-tree-image(leaf),
  toolbaritem .bookmark-item:not(src):not([container]):not([type]),
  menupopup .bookmark-item:not(src):not([container]):not([type]),
  .site-favicon:not(src) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/default_dot_favicon.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px) !important;
  }

#main-window[fx48plus="true"] #PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .ac-site-icon:not([src]):not([type="searchengine"]),
  #main-window[fx48plus="true"] #PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .ac-site-icon[src=""]:not([type="searchengine"]),
  #PopupAutoCompleteRichResult .ac-site-icon[src^="chrome://mozapps/skin/places/defaultFavicon.png"] {
	width: 0 !important;
	-moz-padding-end: 16px !important;
	background-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/default_dot_favicon.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/default_dot_favicon.png") !important;
	-moz-padding-end: 2px !important;
	margin: 0px 2px !important;
	width: 16px !important;
	height: 16px !important;
  }

#all-sites-item > .site-container > .site-favicon {
	list-style-image: none !important;
  }

.sidebar-placesTreechildren::-moz-tree-image(title,livemarkItem),
  .bookmark-item[container][livemark] .bookmark-item {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/livemark-item.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px) !important;
  }

.sidebar-placesTreechildren::-moz-tree-image(title,livemarkItem,visited),
  .bookmark-item[container][livemark] .bookmark-item[visited] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 16px, 16px) !important; }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, livemarkItem) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/livemark-item.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, separator) {
	list-style-image: none !important;
	width: 0 !important;
	height: 0 !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, container) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png")!important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0px, 32px, 16px, 16px) !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, open) {
	-moz-image-region: rect(16px, 32px, 32px, 16px) !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, container, livemark) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/feeds/feedIcon16.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: auto !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container, OrganizerQuery_AllBookmarks) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/appmenu_bookmarks.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0px 16px 16px 0px) !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container, OrganizerQuery_BookmarksToolbar) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/bookmarksToolbar.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container, OrganizerQuery_BookmarksMenu) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/bookmarksMenu.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(container, OrganizerQuery_UnfiledBookmarks) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/unsortedBookmarks.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/query.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, tagContainer),
  treechildren::-moz-tree-image(query, OrganizerQuery_Tags) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/tag.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(query, OrganizerQuery_Downloads) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/downloads.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, dayContainer) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/calendar.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, hostContainer) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, hostContainer, open) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, OrganizerQuery_History) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0, 180px, 18px, 162px) !important;
  }

#main-window[fx55plus="true"] treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, OrganizerQuery_History) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://classic_theme_restorer/content/images/Toolbar.png") !important;
	-moz-image-region: rect(0, 180px, 18px, 162px) !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(query, OrganizerQuery_History) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/places/calendar.png") !important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, folder) {
	list-style-image: url("chrome://global/skin/icons/folder-item.png")!important;
  }

treechildren::-moz-tree-image(title, query, folder, open) {
  }

}

Keep in mind CTR updates are exclusively provided through Github now, because legacy add-on updates can not be uploaded to AMO anymore, so you will have to install the latest build from there. Once installed a Github version, future updates will be installed automatically.
https://github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicTheme ... ag/1.7.7.5
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Wow. Thank you SO much, Aris! This situation has turned out way better than I ever imagined it could.

The updated 1.7.7.5 version of CTR (which you made available so quickly!) means that I can now dispense with all the manual hacks of old CTR versions and instead take advantage of the latest improvements to CTR (but without the drawbacks of Hi-DPI issues and missing Library icons). This has made things so much simpler, and it has saved me a lot of time (for which I am very grateful to you).

Given the countless comments that I've seen all over the internet from people struggling to change the Library icons in Waterfox (and Firefox v56) I'm sure that this solution will be a benefit and relief to many people other than just me, and will encourage even more take-up and use of CTR in Waterfox (which, after all, is exactly the kind of reason that people switched to Waterfox for in the first place).

Aris wrote:The location bar popup should not show that note at all. On later CTR versions this issue is fixed, but on 1.6.6 it still is present. Use this to hide it:
As ever, your css solution worked perfectly, but thanks to your new update to CTR I happily no longer need to use this work-around.

Aris wrote:This code or only parts of it restores the library icons. Just post the full file into custom css area:
Again, the update to CTR 1.7.7.5 removes my need to fix this manually, so this css is no longer strictly necessary. But nevertheless, having access to this code is still immensely useful for individual Library icon tweaking, or for creating full alternative Library icon themes in future. The most difficult part (for a css-novice like me) is trying to determine the correct syntax to isolate the specific element that you want to affect. This is easy for things that have a straight-forward ID or Class that shows up in DOM inspector, but in many situations the element I want is just not listed where I'm looking, and I have no idea where to search for it, or how to structure the command even if I did find it. Therefore this batch of css commands for affecting the entire Library icon set, serves as a very useful template that I (and others) can use as a basis for our own experiements.

Aris wrote:Keep in mind CTR updates are exclusively provided through Github now ...
The reason that I was asking for "hacky" one-off css 'work-arounds' (instead of requesting a fix to CTR itself that would benefit all CTR users) was because I thought that you had stopped all CTR development due to the deprecation of Legacy extensions. I just assumed that you'd switched all your focus to the new WebExt CustomCSSforFx version, and that you weren't making any more updates to the legacy CTR version. This has been the case with many extension developers, and they often get annoyed when people request updates to a project that they've made clear is now defunct. I had no idea that CTR was now on GitHub and still getting updates. That's why I was focussing on older CTR versions and css code as the "easiest" way to get the results that I wanted. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that CTR is still going on Github.

I have now tested the new CTR v1.7.7.5 and it works great; fully fixing the Library icon and menu separator issues that I described in my earlier posts in this thread.

However, there are a few issues that I discovered and, if you don't mind, I will mention them here in case you would like to address them at some point in a further update:

1. I notice that in v1.7.7.5 the top-level History icon in the Library is no longer missing (as it was when I was using older CTR versions to achieve the same effect). I assume that this is no accident, and that you have actually added an icon to fix this issue. However, the wrong icon is being displayed. The top-level History icon should differ from the icons of its children. The top-level icon should be the round clock-face icon (as used on the History sidebar button). See screenshot.

2. As you mentioned in your last post, Library icons are now changed by the 'Replace generic favicon' setting in CTR. This works great for the Library icons, but unfortunately the generic favicon setting itself does not work any more. In other words, I can't actually change the generic bookmark favicon.

I usually choose the dashed square option, but with CTR v1.7.7.5 I always get the default icon regardless of whatever option I have selected. In older versions of CTR (I'm not sure exactly which ones, but definitely in v1.6.5) I can select the 'default' favicon option (which gives a muted grey globe icon), or the globe icon (which gives a sharper higher-contrast globe icon), the dashed square box icon, or the document icon. After switching to any one of these icon options in CTR v1.6.5, the change becomes immediately visible (as soon as you re-open the Sidebar or Library). This is not the case in v1.7.7.5 because the option seems to have stopped working altogether.

3. As an aside to the above point: I often confuse the 'Show favicon (if a site does not offer one)' setting with the 'Replace generic favicon' setting (especially seeing as they look so similar) and I'm sure I can't be the only one. Maybe it might be helpful to slightly adjust the naming of those two particular settings for additional clarity.

For example, perhaps something along the lines of:
  • Show favicon on tab (if a site does not offer one)
  • Replace generic bookmark favicon (also changes Library icons)

4. The URL bar 'Identity icon' goes a bit nuts when clicking on it with certain CTR options enabled.

On CTR Options > Location bar > page 3 there is an option called: Favicon/globe/i-icon 'click' opens 'page info window'. I like this option because it allows you to view the default site security pop-up panel (if you click the identity icon), but you can also get directly to the site 'Information' window too (by clicking on the i-icon).

However, if the Favicon/globe/i-icon 'click' opens 'page info window' option is selected and then at some point later the user decides to activate the 'Hide i-icon if possible' option, the result is erratic behaviour when clicking on the identity icon. It will randomly display either the pop-up site security panel, or the the information window (more so the latter) switching back and forth between them with no consistency or predictability.

It would seem to me that if the user has chosen to hide the i-icon, then the click-action associated with that i-icon should also be disabled while the i-icon is not visible (meaning that it can't be clicked on anyway). By disabling the click-action for the i-icon when it's hidden, it would mean that the remaining padlock 'Identity' icon can continue to function as it always has done (i.e. displaying the site security pop-up panel) and this would be consistent with what you'd expect based on the icon's past behaviour when both the padlock and the i-icon were being displayed at the same time.

I may possibly be misunderstanding how this combination of options is supposed to work, but it's a bit jarring clicking on an icon and not knowing which action is going to be carried out from one click to the next.

5. The Hi-DPI menu separator / gutter issue has been fully resolved in v1.7.7.5, but if you recall, I also mentioned another similar issue with the CTR Firefox appbutton menu width. I originally fixed this issue myself (back when I thought that CTR was not getting any more updates) but in the light of the fact that you have successfully addressed the Hi-DPI menu separator issue, you may also want to tweak the CTR Firefox button appmenu for Hi-DPI users as well.

I mention this because I just realised that the css fix that I implemented only affected the top-level panes of the appbutton and not its sub-menus. I discovered this when I decided to enable the 'Menuitem in appbuttons menu' CTR option (for easier access to CTR's options window - seeing as I've been accessing CTR so much lately for testing). However upon enabling that option the sub-menu item text was severely truncated (despite the top-level menu panes displaying correctly because of my css fix). Below is a screenshot of CTR v1.7.7.5 without my css fix added (meaning that the 'New Private Window' and 'Bookmarks' menu items also get truncated, in addition to any sub-menu items with long names).

6. The spacers and separator icons (that CTR adds to the 'Customize' palette window) all disappear if you drag and drop any of the spacers or separators to a toolbar and then exit the 'Customize window'. When you re-open Customize (for example if you wanted to add another spacer) you can't do so, because they're all gone.

Those are the only issues that I saw with v1.7.7.5. Everything else seems to be working flawlessly.

I do also have a couple of suggestions for some minor (but I think very useful) new options / features that would work well in CTR, but I will put those in a separate post, just in case you are not accepting CTR feature requests and therefore want to ignore those comments.

Thanks again for the update and for help that you've given.
Aris

Post by Aris »

Wow, that was a monster of a post, I'm glad I could already fix a few things for you and I will try to keep the answers short. ;-)

Back then when it was already clear CTR won't survive past 2018s summer, I stated, that I will try to keep support for Waterfox and Basilisk browsers as long as possible, if they don't go the same way Firefox did, meaning changing that much, that CTR would stop working without complete rewriting. Lets see how much Waterfox 60 will change in the future once its next big step is done.

1. Yes, I changed the icon, but I can replace it with history icon on next update again.

2. That is true, there is no workaround for this and there won't be one either, because the information 'the bookmark has no favicon' inside the actual bookmark / dom node was lost during Fx55 changes. I will add a note about this on CTRs prefwindow, so users will see the option still does something to library icons. I don't want to rewrite the whole option group for that.

3. I'm still wondering why users sometimes get confused over these settings as both are in different categories. ;-) I will tweak the labels on next update.

4. The click event I attached to the i-icon (#identity-icon) and still works as is should. The problem is caused be the default click event triggered by the whole identity box. Not sure I can fix this without taking away other functionality. The hide i-icon setting does not rally hide the icon, it just gets moved behind the other icon, a padlock in most cases. Looks like there is some area where both can be triggered. I suppose there is some way to workaround this problem.

5. This glitch seems to only happen on Windows 7. No idea why labels within the left and right panes do not extend the actual panes on W7 like they do on W10 for example, but adding slightly increased minimum width values for hidpi modes should fix this.

6. That is a problem with Firefox 55/56 code. For some non-logical reason Mozilla forces additional internal browser code to get rid of those items, although they were officially not present since Firefox 29. The only workaround left for using them properly is the first visit of customizing mode after a browser start where you can right-click on them and chose "add to toolbar". That way they stay on the toolbar when revisiting customizing mode and the can of course be moved to any other toolbar using drag&drop.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Thank you very much for your informative reply.

1. Thank you.

2. What would be the best way to manually set icon for bookmarks with no favicon (using css) seeing as this option will no longer work?

3. Thanks again.

4. What I was trying to say is that the issue does not occur if you manually unselect the Favicon/globe/i-icon 'click' opens 'page info window' opton whenever you activate the hide i-icon option. You can then re-enable the click to open page info option once you choose to re-show the i-icon. My suggestion was just for this process to be automated, but I'll leave it with you to decide how (or whether) you wish to deal with this.

5. Thanks.

6. I understand. Luckily it turns out that it's not too big a deal, because I found out that they all come back after a browser restart. At first I thought they had gone permanently.
Aris

Post by Aris »

-> 2. There is no way to achieve this anymore, otherwise I would have added a solution back then when Firefox 55 was on Nightly channel.
-> 4. Strangely I got different results when trying to reproduce this.
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Ah, ok. Understood. Thanks.

My final post (I promise!) :lol:

Here's the suggestions that I said I would put in a separate post. Feel free to ignore these if you are only doing maintenance on CTR and not adding anything new.

A. Option to reinstate the vertical separator between the Location bar URL icon and URL text (i.e. a proper separator image that matches the one used at the other end of the URL between drop arrow and refresh icon). This separator was still there as recently as Firefox v55, and it was only removed in v56. It can be most clearly seen when viewing a page like about:about. See here for a screenshot.

B. Bring back old URL drop list selection method. This one really drives me crazy. Back in Firefox v47, if you opened the Location bar URL drop list, you could hover over any entry in the list and it would highlight. If you then immediately used the up / down arrow keys on the keyboard, the existing highlight would move up and own accordingly. This meant that you always knew what was selected, and you could just hover over any entry and use Shift+Del to remove it from the drop list.

However in newer versions (starting with Firefox v52, but getting worse by v55 and v56) you now have two separate selections in the url drop list (one for the mouse and one for the keyboard). This not only means that you can no longer just hover over an item and Shit+Delete it, but also, if you try to use the keyboard to go up or down in the list, you end up with two different highlighted items at the same time (one following the mouse and one following the keyboard). I find this infuriating, and I have repeatedly deleted wrong entries since upgrading from Firefox v47 (because the keyboard selected item is not visible until you start using the keys). So you can point to an entry, think that it's going to be the one that's affected (because it's the only one highlighted) and find out that a completely different entry was removed instead.

C. Option to get back old colour fills for panel and toolbar icons. Mozilla has changed the hue of the icons in the panel menu and toolbar icons several times at various points since v47 (and usually for the worse in my opinion). CTR already has an option to apply SVG colours to default toolbars and buttons. This new option would essentially do the same thing, but allow you to paste a hex value into a box and have just that one colour applied to everything, instead of varying colours applied to different icons. This feature could be used to get back / recreate the old Firefox colours that were used in previous versions, or it could just be used to just adjust the icon tint to better match the user's current colour theme.

D. Option to revert to old-style sidebar headings that were present in Firefox v54 and earlier (i.e. a thin area above the search box with only a text display of the sidebar's name). This would be instead of the huge fat drop-list switcher button that was added to the top of sidebars in v55 (and which got even bigger in v56).
Aris

Post by Aris »

A.

#identity-box {
  border-right: 1px solid black !important;
}
B.
I can't do that. The whole location bar and location bar popup is a very huge mess. Mozilla changed code inside it almost every day bak then. Doing what you suggest would break things and cause everything else related on the code changes not to work.

C.
This will work for button on toolbar:

.toolbarbutton-1 .toolbarbutton-icon {
  fill: red !important;
}
Buttons within palette or panel menu use svgs, that can not be "filled" with other colors.

D.
The "old style" did not offer a menu, but you can mostly mask its appearance:

/* compact sidebar header */
#sidebar-header,
#sidebar-header * {
  padding: 0 !important;
  margin: 0 !important;
  font-size: 12pt !important;
}

/* hide dropdown arrow */
#sidebar-header #sidebar-switcher-arrow {
  display: none !important;
}

/* hide button appearance */
#sidebar-switcher-target {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background: none !important;
  border: 0 !important;
  padding: 0 2px !important;
}
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

I've just installed v1.7.7.6

1. Looks great.

2. / 3. Additional explanatory note (about favicon and v55+) is appreciated.

4. This now functions exactly as I was trying to describe. It's great! Pop-ups are now always consistent regardless of the chosen option. Thanks

5. The appmenu no longer cuts off menu text. But I must admit this is not exactly what I had in mind - lol.

Previously, (up to CTR v1.7.4) the appmenu widths always worked perfectly for me (even at my 125% DPI). It was only when v1.7.6 was released that the menus started appearing narrower.

However, seeing as this is somewhat of a Windows 7 'edge' case, I can understand if you'd rather not spend time on it. So perhaps instead you could you let me know the CSS that I can use to adjust the pane widths myself because, as of this particular update, my existing CSS fix (which used to work fine) no longer works.

#appmenuPrimaryPane { width: 170px !important; } #appmenuSecondaryPane { width: 135px !important; }

Thanks