Deleting Outdated Address Book Entries

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
baumgrenze

Deleting Outdated Address Book Entries

Post by baumgrenze »

I searched this topic and found a 2004 thread. I think I understood the 2004 answer. I can't make it work in 2018.

I opened my address book and used Advanced Address Book Search.

I found addresses for a recipient in both the Personal Address Book (wrong email for recipient) and the Collected Addresses (with several wrong and also the right email address.)

The delete button on my keyboard did not delete a set of selected addresses that were outdated. I found no menu item called delete.

What did work was to open the properties of each entry (one at a time) and manually select and delete the wrong address associated with the users name. I had to manually transfer the proper one from Collected Addresses to my Personal Address Book.

I find this a 1980's solution. Did I miss a better way? If I did, I'm afraid I will need a set of step-by-step instructions to make it work.

I am running :

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180412182658

Under Win7/Pro x64
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
amrad

Re: Deleting Outdated Address Book Entries

Post by amrad »

Hello Baumgrenze,

If you select an address or group of addresses, right click and select delete.

Regards,

Dave.
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Hello Amrad,

Thank you for your reply.

I duplicated my procedure:

I followed this toolbar menu sequence having opened my mail program:

Window>Address Book>Tools>Search Addresses>

I searched a name and right clicked on the name and nothing happened.

At the bottom of the dialog I found the choices Properties and Compose.

Is this the 'wrong way' to find and select an address?

I did find that the process you describe worked when I scrolled down through the list of addresses until I found one and right clicked on it. I find this a primitive way to locate one address among many for deletion.

Have I encountered a 'bug?'

thanks
baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't duplicate your experience here. Running version 2.49.3 under Windows 10, I can search for a given last name and then delete multiple records by right clicking on one of the selected records and selecting "Delete" from the context menu.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode