Can't remove add-ons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Infernoflower1

Re: Can't remove add-ons

Post by Infernoflower1 »

I've now copied my styles over to my other profile. However, I'm having the problem of being unable to remove my add-ons again. Also, my Reload in Address Bar add-on won't work. How can I fix this?
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

The problem with removing add-ons returning sounds suspicious to me, unless you are accidentally running in your old profile. Maybe you should check your system for spyware or viruses. Someone may post a standard list of suggestions, but you could start by doing a scan using your existing antivirus software, if you have nothing else you should by default have Microsoft Defender. Since you mention styles, note that the Stylish addon was found to be spying. Alternatives exist.
Infernoflower1

Post by Infernoflower1 »

Thank you. I've tried starting a new profile and making copies of it with each add-on installed one by one, and I have determined that the problem with the Reload In Address Bar add-on happens even in a new profile, and that I become unable to remove add-ons when the "chrome" script is on. Maybe I should report these problems to the owners of these add-ons. Also, thank you again for your help.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Infernoflower1 wrote:I become unable to remove add-ons when the "chrome" script is on.
What is the "chrome" script?
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Are you allowing this Chrome script, to make changes, to how Firefox runs?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

'In the past' ...and when a user has reported that running in safe-mode resolved the issue... we've suggested to start Firefox (keep track of the addons) ...disable say 3 addons, restart Firefox, Test and if the problem still exists try disabling 3 more ... and do that till the problem goes away... the problem would then be in the last 3 extensions disabled...then enable 1 of those 3 and test... continue with the rest of them until the single extension is identified .... did we alter that concept?

Or we suggested disabling 1/2 of the addons and depending on what happens... work with that half or the other half... same end results.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

The last few reviews for the reload-in-address-bar extension say it isn't working with the current Firefox. You could contact that extension developer.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

Legacy? Forget it will be abandoned. Not sure if updates are still allowed.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
Infernoflower1

Post by Infernoflower1 »

It's okay. It's been updated and the Refresh button problem has been fixed.